Featured Pastel / Charcoal on Fiberboard?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by joe blowski, Aug 14, 2021.

1. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Hi! Couple of questions about this framed portrait I picked up at a garage sale for two bucks. I bought it for the back board I can use on currently unframed paintings once they find a home. I'm guessing it dates from late 1800's but I didn't find any inscriptions or newspapers when I took her out of the frame.
    Is the portrait charcoal or pastel and how canI tell? Is it possibly a photo printed on some kind of fiber board?
    Would this have been considered an expensive frame back in the day? It's built up of several parts: the outer most was silver colored at one point (now black), then gold (not gilded) vine entwined log, velvet, and finally gold colored linked rings.
    The frame components look to be plaster over wood. Is this the most likely composition?
    Can the velvet or nails be used to date the frame?
    Well, that's enough for now, any comments / education is appreciated!

SmallFullFront.jpg smallOutofFrame.jpg smallEyeCloseup.jpg smallFabric.jpg smallNails.jpg

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I think it's what's' referred to as a Crayon Portrait. Photographers would enlarge a photograph directly onto a drawing paper using an emulsion technique. It would lay down a weak image and then they'd go in with charcoal or pastels. I believe it was done for a couple of reasons: enlarging photos and having them come out nice was very expensive at the time, and depending on the skill of the photographer/artist, you could really make them look like it was totally hand drawn. Some of them are pretty bad. However, this one is rather well done.

Done between 1860s to early 20th century. I am not one to date this piece.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Figtree3, judy, LauraGarnet02 and 6 others like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Oh my, she is one cranky looking individual :rolleyes:

BoudiccaJones, i need help and judy like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Maybe she was one of the unfortunate women who had 22 children? Or maybe she was just born cranky like my paternal grandmother. ;)

BoudiccaJones, i need help and judy like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the photographer / artist was afraid of her reaction.

i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think the poor dear has no teeth, and likely didn't want to smile.

sabre123 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, it is very nice. And appears to be in excellent condition, too!

sabre123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted