Featured Paying Up for Good Silver at a Thrift (800 silver ID Help)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by vitry-le-francois, Mar 31, 2024.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

About 3 years ago, I moved to Michigan from Arizona. While living in AZ, my favorite thrift store for the past 20 years was Mesa Thrift Store. I pulled some amazing finds out of that store!! Thankfully, I visit my family several time a year and of course, a trip to my favorite thrift is always on my list.

Like most thrift stores, they have gotten much better at identifying the "good stuff" and price it accordingly. This water pitcher has been sitting on the shelf since the beginning of February at $900.00. The kind woman behind the counter (Rosa--she's so nice!) told me the manager is taking offers. She called for the manager and I said, "how much?" and he replied, "$450.00." SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!

At $900, the price was actually fair as the scrap value (56 ounces) is just under $1000.00. However, at $450 the price became irresistible!!

Now, for the fun part!! WHO MADE IT??? I looked on 925-1000.com and could not find it under the German marks. Perhaps it is not German? Thanks for any help!

0-17.jpeg 0-22.jpeg 0-24.jpeg 0-25.jpeg 0-23.jpeg 0-18.jpeg 0-26.jpeg 0-16.jpeg

mirana, Figtree3, bercrystal and 5 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is definitely German, the emperor's crown and crescent moon are the national marks of Germany.

mirana, Figtree3, verybrad and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

"Wilkens M.H. & Söhne - Hemerlingen b. Bremen
    Silverware maker / Silberwarenfabrik
    founded in 1810 was the leading silver manufacturer in Germany at the end of 19th century. Its designers were Peter Behrens, Albin Muller, and Heinrich Vogeler. H. Bulling, A. Donat, C. Krauss and Karl Muller designed for the firm between 1910 and 1940"

Halfway down this page:
    https://www.silvercollection.it/GERMANMAKERSTOOLS.html

mirana, Figtree3, J Dagger and 11 others like this.
  4. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

like the cat says...... it never hurts to ask !!!
    good find !!

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and aaroncab like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love it,but theres no way my body would physically allow me to pay $500 for it ! Id go into convulsions or something !

mirana, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Great looking piece! Hope you don’t melt it! However if selling on eBay I recommend putting the word “scrap” in your title towards the end just so people buying for weight will look at it. They’ll often bid stuff up pretty close to melt value whereas the pure collectors may not.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the design of this one... and congratulations on getting a good deal, especially if you are selling it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

The water pitcher was made in 1893

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And you know that how?

12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Might I say your purchase is looking significantly better today than it was a couple weeks ago! With silver up over $28 per Troy ounce the value of your investment is probably worth around $200 or so more than it was when you bought it.

mirana likes this.
  13. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

because of the number stamped at the bottom. Wilkens numbered all their hollow ware pieces... the last item produced in 1892 has the numer 89797, the last item produced in 1893 is numbered 94541.

Lucille.b, mirana, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you !
    That's the kind of information this site thrives on !!;):happy:

Potteryplease, mirana and kyratango like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. Had not heard of that before! Where is the list published?

16. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Think it is a bit more than $200 Screenshot_20240415-094821.png

J Dagger likes this.
  17. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

That would never pop up in a thrift store here! Congrats!

Draft saved Draft deleted