Featured Perfume bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Houseful, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Charity shop buy today. 9 inches tall including the stopper 3 and a quarter inches wide. I think it’s moulded but the base seems to have a ground down area like you would find with a pontil. Bohemian? There’s a couple of marks under the stopper looks like an S or G 3. Anyone have any thoughts please @bercrystal? Thanks.
    IMG_1732.jpeg IMG_1749.jpeg IMG_1739.jpeg IMG_1734.jpeg IMG_1726.jpeg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Surprised they didn't turn that stopper into a bobeche.

stracci likes this.
  3. Houseful

I had to look that up!

stracci and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

5. Houseful

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For that money, somebody ought to have bagged it. I've never seen a tulip stopper before either.

Houseful likes this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think @TallCakes has it covered. :happy::happy:

Be careful when cleaning as the gold is quite susceptible to damage & it looks to be in pretty good condition considering its age.

There should be a matching number on the bottom of the bottle.

Houseful, Figtree3 and J Dagger like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I buy regularly from an auction house that’s very highly regarded in a big time antique area. They regularly put stickers on highly sensitive areas of items. I get that items need inventory info and that they process them quickly but man it’s frustrating. I bought some nice glass perfume bottles with gold gilt recently. One had a nice scene of a man with trees and buildings around him. They put the sticker right on the man. I peeled it off and took most of his gilt outline with him. I was PO’d. One of many times unfortunately.

Turned out that some of the perfume bottles/vials in the lot are more commonly known to be tear catchers. I wasn’t really familiar with those. Crazy Victorians. I’ve had hair receivers but not tear catchers until now. I guess it’s actually much older business going back to the Romans and under the umbrella of “Lachrymatory” but mine were Victorian.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@J Dagger - I totally feel your pain!! I have that problem at the consignment shop I sometimes shop at when they tape their cardboard price tags to the item. :arghh::arghh::arghh:

These tear catcher bottles are also called “lachrymatory bottles" & were originally "throw-away" bottles that held perfume oils such as rose or lavender. They were made in France, Germany & Bohemia. They usually sell quite well so congrats on the buy. I hope you got them for a good price. :happy::happy:

Here is an article about this type of perfume bottle.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/tearcatchers-victorian-myth-bottle

You may want to post them on the forum somewhere because I am sure many of the members have never heard of or seen this type of perfume bottle. Some might have seen them & passed them by as they did not know what they were at the time. :happy::happy:

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted