Featured Personal copy of 'Dune',by the man who made sure it got published.

Discussion in 'Books' started by bosko69, Jan 16, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Well Hell, Bosko...I think you should!
    As I have advised in the past; Throw a few bucks around...what are y'savin' it for, anyway?
    Do yer part to lift the economy, fella!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

$7500 is cheap. That's from 2020. I see first editions online for upwards of $20K. I have a first edition that's minty fresh... but it's a third printing.

4. bosko69

The only firsts I've ever had of 'Dune' were 2-3 of the paperbacks.I remember first reading it the week 'Laugh-In' premiered-January 22, 1968.
    About 6 mos before my first girlfriend's brother,an older urbane fellow of 18,suggested I read Asimov's 'Foundation'. He was an interesting guy who (w/ his parent's permission) collected wine and listened to Mahler.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I keep thinking I want to re-read the Foundation trilogy, but I haven't done anything about it.

At one time I had all the Dune books, most of them first editions, but I dumped them decades ago. I felt it was one of those situations where the sequels didn't measure up, but from a money point of view, it's a loss (not that I would be selling them).

Figtree3 and wlwhittier like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite set of sci-fi books.

moreotherstuff and wlwhittier like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I read the Foundation trilogy before I got out of high school. Dune too. I had a first American edition of Animal Farm here, paid pennies, but gave it to my cousin for CHristmas. He's the one who got me into SF, so it seemed fair.

moreotherstuff and wlwhittier like this.
  8. wlwhittier

I'm right there with ya, MOS...read it inna mid-late '60's an' would dearly love to have the time to disappear into it for days at a time, as then...what a refreshing series, tho' the details of much are lost; they should be required reading, imho.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  9. bosko69

I read book 1 just a year ago-Hari Seldon.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    Figtree3 likes this.
  11. bosko69

Most of us of a certain age and sensibility heard about or saw Jodorowsky's 'El Topo' or 'Santa Sangre'.
    It's wild how certain cult and or visionary art resonates with some collectors-2,666 million euros !
    You wonder how many 'niche' arcane objects are out there hidden just waiting for the auction block ?

Figtree3 and wlwhittier like this.
  12. wlwhittier

Incredible...simply that...full stop.

13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Definitely one of my favorite stories of moron buyers in the art world... For anyone unaware why it went for 3mil and not 35k:

"The book was offered in a Christie’s Paris sale on 22 November with an estimate of €25,000-€35,000 and bought for more than 100 times its low estimate (€2.6m, or $3m, including fees) by an anonymous group identified as Spice DAO (decentralised autonomous organisation), whose members mistakenly believed that the purchase granted them the copyright to the book, which they intended to splice and sell as NFTs before burning the physical copy.

The group stated that its goal is to “issue a collection of NFTs that are technically innovative and culturally disruptive, a first-of-its-kind”, and that burning the book would be an “incredible marketing stunt which could be recorded on video”, with the video itself sold as an NFT.

Spice DAO also claimed that it would digitise and make the book public, that it would produce an original animated series based on the book for a streaming service, and that it would “support derivative projects”.

However, the Internet was quick to point out that the book is already available to view online for free, and that the purchase does not grant Spice DAO the rights to produce works based on its contents. An NFT series, for example, would likely be met with a lawsuit from the actual copyright holders, currently the Herbert Limited Partnership." - The Art Newsletter

The "Spice DAO" couldn't even afford the book and one member put up the rest of the funds. The downfall began almost immediately and they decided to try and resell the book. The group decided to dissolve in Jul 22.

And anyone who wants to read it for free, can do that here. Highly, highly recommended. Just amazing work.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Good to know the whole story, but they had to be bidding against someone.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  15. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who...because they re-sold it for only 100k. :nailbiting:

I'd still take a 100k book find though. :D

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here.(LOL) It wouldn't solver every problem, but it could fix a few!

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted