Featured Pls Help ID 1860's Gas Lamp-w/an Electrical Ingniter ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Nov 13, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's an oddball piece I've had kicking around for years.It's 11 1/4" tall,made of brass,wood,cast iron and Goodyear rubber or Gutta Percha.It's stamped-'W.W. Batchelder Patented Sept. 7,1869'. It's a gas table lamp,the 'top cap' (the section w/ the wood handle) revolves smoothly on a black glass disc mounted btw the top and lower base,the wood handle is jointed,goes up & down (to regulate gas flow ?) and is a handle to revolve the top.
    I found Batchelder's Patent for this (and misplaced it !) and the paper described some kind of 'Electric Ignition Device' which ignites the gas in the upper (missing) globe.
    Any info on this piece would be very greatly appreciated-the missing patent drawing,or most especially a pic of one of these fully assembled w/ the missing parts.Thanks much. Lamp1.jpg Lamp2.jpg Lamp3.jpg

Born2it, komokwa, Roaring20s and 2 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

4. bosko69

Cool-that new igniter is elaborate and not cheap & found this in the patent log book-'Gas-lighting by electricity,Apparatus for...W.W. Batchelder...Boston,MASS...Sept. 7,1869...94,345',excellent clues !

Born2it likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Lark likes this.
  6. bosko69

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Disregard! Good job

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

That is very cool!

9. bosko69

Thank You,Thank You and Thank You All ! The remaining apparatus looks fairly self explanatory (i will have to find an expert re period appropriate materials,solders,etc). Finding an authentic lamp globe shouldn't be too difficult (i say foolishly). If I ever finish this I'll post pics,but maybe will not light-no need to cremate what remaining hair i have left (must leave enough for a decent 'comb-over').

10. Aquitaine

This site "might" have what you want for a glass globe....they seem to have a LOT of parts!!! If they don't they might know of.......

https://antiquelampsupply.com/collections/gas-style

11. bosko69

Trippy huh ? The experiment with various forms of incandescent lighting began around 1800 (i think ?),as we can see with all your help-this Batchelder chap kept toying with Lighting Patents for the next several years.Now what form of storage device he used to store the electrical charge-who knows.I need to print-out the next 2 pages of his patent filing to see what he uses-it would seem a bit more complex than a flint producing a spark,because I don't think that would technically have been called 'electricity' even back then.
    I guess Mesmer and perhaps others had primitive glass storage batteries-but they would seem too fragile and expensive for home use (?).

12. bosko69

Thanks again ALL-what a Site !

13. bosko69

Batchelder mentions in His Patent Application the main purpose of this invention- '..my new gas-lighting apparatus.In the form in which it is represented in the drawings the apparatus is for the purpose of LIGHTING A CIGAR..(but) may be applied for illuminating or various other purposes'. He mentions the Cigar Lighter once again in the patent in a lower section.
    Now this is interesting because it explains perhaps why the Lamp can be rotated-for a table full of cigar aficionados (?).
    It's also possibly interesting because of the amount of antique Cigar Lighter collectors in the community....we shall see.

14. bosko69

1860's Batteries:quote- 'Batteries of electro-chemical (Voltaic) cells provided the electricity for Civil War Era telegraphy. The rechargeable lead-acid storage battery was invented in 1859 by French physicist Gaston Planté. By the time of the Civil War a practical battery made from two different compounds of lead and sulfuric acid was available. A group of these batteries hooked in series allowed the U.S. Military Telegraph to send a message over ten miles of wire without repetition from a single wagon fitted with telegraphic equipment.They used sulfuric acid wet cells.'

Roaring20s likes this.
  15. bosko69

Then again this could have been powered by a hand-cranked Electrostatic Generator,like a Wimshurst Machine.

16. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I thought you might find this interesting.

komokwa likes this.
  17. bosko69

Roaring-Holy crap,this vids great.Electric Ignition patented 1859,first installed in White House 1869.Look at those 1.5 Volt wet cell batteries,brass switch plates w/ mother of pearl buttons-so very strange yet familiar.Would love to see some working models.Thanks very much.

Roaring20s and komokwa like this.
  18. bosko69

Batch Pat Correct Final.jpg

This is it-the final revised 'improved patent'.Now I just need to find the missing parts.

Roaring20s likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted