Featured Pocketwatch Stand - Sterling-faced. 1920.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, May 24, 2015.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

[​IMG]

Bought this for 75% off from an antiques dealer who was sick of having it at her stall at the flea-market. Sterling-fronted pocketwatch stand from 1920. Made in Birmingham.

Part of the reason I got it so cheap was because, as you can see, it's dented all over. The lady said I could send it to a silversmith to have the dents knocked out.

Well, I'm a cheap bastard. I pulled out the nails holding in the silver panel...

[​IMG]

...lifted the silver off...

[​IMG]

...hammered out the dents. Polished the silver, put it back on and hammered the teeny little nails back in.

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

Polished. Dents gone (or most of them, anyway)...

[​IMG]

Nails hammered back in on all sides. Neat and tidy :)

I can't I.D. the (S) (B) maker's mark, though. Anyone know who that is?

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

looks great Shangas!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not bad for a cheap bastard...! ;);)

nice find !

Messilane likes this.
  5. Shangas

I like doing my own repairs wherever and whenever possible.

komokwa likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well you got the cutest little anvil in town !!!

7. Shangas

It's a jeweler's anvil. I used it with a ball-peen hammer, to knock out the dents in the silver and smooth the edges.

I also used them to reshape a ring my dad damaged.

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

These usually have an oversize watch called a 'Goliath' in them. They were often 8 day watches and the whole thing was really a travelling bedside clock.

It is not really a watch stand for a regular sized pocket watch, but one part of a two piece item.

I use an old bone stay busk to rub out dents like that, with the item supported on a leather pad.

fidbald likes this.
  9. Shangas

I have heard of that, AF. I've seen the watches which you speak of, and they are MASSIVE. I don't have anything near that big. I doubt most people do. But I'm content to use it as a standard pocketwatch stand. I carry one watch on me. I keep the other watch as a desk-clock.

10. Shangas

In case people are wondering what AF is talking about, he's referring to these:

[​IMG]

Massive, eight-day 'pocketwatches' which could double as desk-clocks/portable clocks. The case I have is really meant for those.

I have seen one, once, before. Many years ago. Perhaps if I ever get the chance to buy one, I shall marry the two together. But until then, this'll suffice :)

fidbald and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice job! And interesting information too.

Draft saved Draft deleted