Featured Poems of Ossian Cabinet Edition 1866 and old book marker

Discussion in 'Books' started by David Edward, Jan 18, 2024.

1. David Edward

David Edward Member

My wife of 30 years is Scottish so I was immediately attracted to this smaller bound book. It has some beautiful illustrations and a cool embossed 2" x 3" paper dog inserted as a book mark. It appears to be signed. Any information you may know would be greatly appreciated. Value?

Poems of Ossian.jpg
    Poems of Ossian a.jpg
    Poems of Ossian b.jpg
    Poems of Ossian d.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure that's a book mark? With the "No" and the "Yes"? A handsome volume but, unfortunately, in book collecting age doesn't equate to collector interest. Your volume is a (much) later printing of MacPherson's 1790 book. And neither the inscription ("Eustis from Mother") nor this edition's (apparent) scarcity adds to value. Here's the current offering on a used book site to give you an idea of what's available to collectors. (Keep in mind these are asking prices.) The card may well be worth more than the volume.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...by=100&tn=poems+ossian&cm_sp=pan-_-srp-_-allb

Debora

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I'll second that...even if you manage to move the book, do keep that card! Good luck

moreotherstuff and Debora like this.
  4. David Edward

David Edward Member

Poems of Ossian c.jpg

The Illustrations are really beautiful in the book! I am assuming mostly hand done. They are separated by old thin "tissue". This is the second appearing picture.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect they're from the original 1790 edition. Here the one above is featured in the 1807 edition. Do note that yours has a condition issue -- foxing.

31473617601_2.jpg

David Edward likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are there any marks on the back of the "book mark?"

Debora

7. David Edward

David Edward Member

Maybe an attendance reply card? Blank on the back. I think it's been in the book for a long time.

Poems of Ossian card back.jpg

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There appears to be a small mark to the right of the word "Yes" -- but the photo is small and cropping it led to too much pixelation to do any good.

Very interesting item! Wonder what the Yes and No were all about.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A piece of Victorian ephemera but... I've never seen anything like it. Some sort of response card, I'd assume.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and David Edward like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good find! And looking again at the original post, it might say YDS instead of Yes?

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, clever you! It does say Yds. So usage now clearer.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. boycemuske87

boycemuske87 New Member

I thought its price would be more expensive. But it's not bad either.

Draft saved Draft deleted