Possible Native American tool or Artifact

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Heber Richins, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Heber Richins

Heber Richins Heber C. Richins

20200729_180823.jpg
    Found this south of lordsburg New Mexico... there was a naitve American farm a long time ago just west of were it was found... its a rock, but look at the cuts in it.. looks like it was possibly a tool of some kind of tool, or was going to be... Screenshot_20200729-182411_Earth.jpg
    This show the direction and distance from where the farm site was and where i found the rock... the left end is where the naitve american farm site is... the right end is where i found the rock... IMAG007.jpeg
    Heres a photo of Dogs Head mountain peak, its where the naitve american farm site or area was...

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Wonder if this is something @Taupou will know about.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if it was going to be a tool....it looks like it was likely discarded ...

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can't see it being used as a tool, but I'll tag @2manybooks :)

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

You would want to see some sign of alteration. Chipping, grinding something like that which would be different than other rocks in the area. I don't know if this information applies to the area you found this but you might look for similar information or contact the Archaeological Society/Agency in the area. There is a lot more info in the report.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0885/report.pdf
    upload_2020-7-30_9-43-22.png
    from page 11

upload_2020-7-30_9-48-44.png

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I used to go out and hunt artifacts and still do have some of my artifact collection left. Looking at your piece I don't really see any indication that it was worked on. Pics are a little blurry so just going by what I can tell. I think you might just have a neat looking rock. I would definitely keep looking around that area though! Although in one of your pics I did see where one edge curved down and then goes straight. Maybe take a pic outside on that edge. Its possible they could have worked on that side then decided to toss it.

komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not any sort of tool/artifact that I recognize.
    It does not look like a type of stone that can be worked by flaking. If it were a sharpening stone, or a paint palette, I would expect it to have at least one totally flat surface, which does not appear to be the case.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Any Jewelry, komokwa and smallaxe like this.
  8. Heber Richins

15962164994182103433200505775781.jpg
    Heres a better photo.. theres a bit of a flat surface.. it seems to have some kind of dotted like markings on it..

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Heber Richins likes this.
  10. Heber Richins

That kind of looks like the rock... though looking at it i wonder if the rock i have was broken off from one of these.. it might have been a part of the back and the sides smoothed out over time...

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted