Featured Pottery "thingy" with a duck on top.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Apr 4, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Not quite sure if this is a "thingy" on it's own or maybe it is/was a lid to something else... not quite shaped like a lid that I've seen before though. Maybe it's just a decorative duck thingy. Seemed to be nicely done so I picked it up at the thrift to join my menagerie. Any ideas on where/when this is from? 4 1/2" across, 3" high. Thank you good people!

~

39386824440_36c34bc6fa_kdev.jpg 27322711238_3d541b0b08_kdev.jpg 27322756848_492d19c5c8_kdev.jpg 27322726128_e615e714cd_kdev.jpg 26323785727_fca0e8738a_kdev.jpg 39386781450_fb32a1f563_kdev.jpg 27322714968_c0b2a019cb_kdev.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

paperweight...or one of Rayo's flock........?

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I wonder if that is a lid to something?

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Interesting thing,I do get a Chinese feel from it though.Not to say it doesnt have some age,but they have been churning out stuff for thousands of years. I could be way off though,so there is that. :)

aaroncab likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Boy, that's a stumper. Is the little round (looks unglazed) spot on the side a firing flaw or something? No purpose or anything?

If it's a flaw, my thought process thinks: "this isn't that high end if it left production with a manufacturing flaw". (Not putting the piece down, just sharing thoughts ---may be way off.)

I probably would have brought it home from the thrift, too just because I've never seen similar. And hope it is something great! Wait for others to respond, too.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    judy and aaroncab like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

My two cents - I vote paperweight and I would have popped it right into my little shopping cart! I don't think Chinese, though, maybe Scandinavian? There's something about it that says studio pottery and/or souvenir to me. Maybe it's that beautiful blended glaze on the duck or the duck's expression. There's some talent in this piece - shame it wasn't signed.
    Don

judy, LIbraryLady, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. aaroncab

Not sure if it's just a glaze flaw or if something else was attached there at some point - no obvious breakage scar though. Thanks for your input - I also thought it was unique enough to bring home for a couple bucks :)

judy likes this.
  8. aaroncab

Thanks Don - I thought it was very pretty too. I'm staring at the base and wondering if there isn't a signature scrawled into the unglazed part... here:

39386781450_fb32a1f563_kdev1.jpg

Probably just my eyes playing tricks / my brain wanting there to be something there. Probably just scratches.

judy, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. aaroncab

Now looking at it under a loupe - Might say Nelson or Nelsen - might be scratches :D

judy likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I see anything aaroncab. Some pottery items were sanded down so that they would sit flat and it's always tempting to try and makes those lines into a signature. As dirt fills the tiny scratches in it's even more tempting. There were very few potteries or potters that actually signed on the ring itself, although I just bought a Japanese flower frog that has an impressed mark on the ring. I can't say it's not signed there, just that it's unlikely.
    Don

judy, komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Does it float?

yourturntoloveit, dgbjwc and judy like this.
  12. aaroncab

Yes it does

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Aha. I know what it is. These are sold to float on ponds - I've several.

14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Or fountains....now I recall seeing fountains on display in garden stores, with similar floats having frogs, turtles, ducks.
    Kudos to Bear!

15. Ownedbybear

I really like them, I've some which take candles.

16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

How very cool! I'll be on the lookout for them.
    Don

judy and aaroncab like this.
  17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Learned something new here.
    :)

judy, dgbjwc, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  18. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Seems I tell myself that every day !!! :joyful:

19. Ownedbybear

Only thing with mine, is I have to scrub them like fury every spring. They get gunked with algae and limescale.

judy likes this.
  20. aaroncab

Thanks so much OBB - mystery solved! Now to install a pond... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted