Featured Question about my antique bed

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Diane Bresee, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Diane Bresee

Diane Bresee Member

I have questions re: my tiger oak tall bed. I've done a little research on the bed and have not seen other beds with the same carved feet on the foot board as my bed.

Are the carved feet on the foot board an unusual feature? If so, does it make the bed more valuable? What would be a ball park value for the bed? Is there a market for this bed?

Thanks!
    Diane KB

Attached Files:

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

SO Karges did a similar bed circa 1900 (sold for $800 but that was in 2012)....the auction comparables I saw were quite low for similar 'Victorian' beds, most around $200.

3. Diane Bresee

Diane Bresee Member

Thanks so much for the information. I figured the interest would likely be low in my bed.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful bed! The feet are not, however, an unusual feature. Your bed just suffers from the same syndrome as everybody else's brown furniture: a poor market.

5. Diane Bresee

Diane Bresee Member

Thank you! I was wondering about it and I'm glad to know this detail.

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome on board, Diane, bed and beautiful doggy! :)
    Is it an Irish Wolfhound?

7. Diane Bresee

Diane Bresee Member

LOL! I bred Irish Wolfhounds since 1971 and currently judge the breed, but this photo is of my new passion, the Belgian Laekenois, and consequently, arena herding trials. Yes, the facial furnishings do resemble an IW which is likely the reason I was drawn to Laekenois.

Attached Files:

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Beautiful breed! I love all wire haired faces:joyful:

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The bed is very interesting... and I love your dog! I hadn't heard of that breed before. The expression in their eyes is amazing. So alert!

10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

What a lovely headboard! I keep hoping that brown furniture will make a comeback!

Leslie

11. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

I don't understand why it's out of fashion. It's a beautiful bed! Much too large for my little house though, sadly.

12. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I think there are folks who still appreciate the old beds, the fact that they have withstood the test of time unlike the beds from IKEA will. My mother's bestie passed away and I have had to sell the contents of her home. She had a plantation bed, her bed in fact, probably late classical/empire style and it wouldn't sell. I had it listed on so many platforms for 2 years. I finally put it together and staged my guest room. I wasn't going to give the bed away because it was a wonderful bed. I think 'brown furniture' will make a comeback......we see the streamlined brown MCM style back and I tend to think things are cyclic. I tell a lot of my clients, if you love it and have the space and can hang on to it, keep it.

Christmasjoy, judy, Michael77 and 4 others like this.
  13. Diane Bresee

Diane Bresee Member

The Belgian Laekenois has been a rare breed in the US, but was a foundation variety of the Belgian Shepherd in Belgium. In everywhere except the USA, the Laekenois is a variety of the Belgian Shepherd, not a separate breed. The Belgian Shepherd consists of 4 varieties - Malinois, Tervuren, Groenendael (called the Belgian Sheepdog is the US), and Laekenois which each variety differs in color and or coat type. They should all have the same structure - square, athletic, and great work ethic. Sorry to morph into judge's education here. As of July 1, 2020 the AKC will accept us into the herding group to compete for AKC titles. Our national club has worked years to accomplish this. Yay us!

Christmasjoy, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Diane Bresee

Diane Bresee Member

Great advice. Thanks!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you! After commenting yesterday I did a little searching and found some of this information. I do like the looks of all of the Belgian Shepherds. I was aware of the others. Anyway, congratulations on getting the acceptance by the AKC! So, they accepted the Laekenois as a separate breed instead of a variety of the Belgian Shepherd?

kyratango likes this.
  16. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

17. Diane Bresee

Diane Bresee Member

Yes, Laekenois are considered a separate breed by AKC. It is said the AKC's decision to do so is political and financial. The rub here is our gene pool is very small. Inter variety breeding in other countries has been a life saver to keep the breed healthy and sound. Can't do that is the USA. I can foresee importing a dog in the future.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Diane Bresee

Diane Bresee Member

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted