Featured Question for book sellers please-TIA

Discussion in 'Books' started by pearlsnblume, May 21, 2019.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi all
    When you have a book or books that you are going to list and sell online, do you go over each and every page of the book? I am talking about a book that is in excess of 400 pages or more.

It seems to take me forever to go through all the pages to make sure of their condition.
    Most if not all of the books I have to sell are vintage cook books so they do have issues since they were used in the kitchen. I like reading them, but it is a task.

I was just curious what the book sellers do when they have books with hundreds of pages.

Thanks for any input.

Will check back later.

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'm not a bookseller, but I would think that only the high end books merit an every-page examination. Otherwise, a general condition statement should do, i.e. "very good with typical signs of use and occasional notes in the margins" or something like that.

Jaena, Fid, judy and 6 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd say... Depends on the book, its category and its value. As you wrote, one might expect marks in a cookbook. Marks in a best seller might be acceptable. But, if something is considered collectible or antiquarian, a more detailed disclosure would be appropriate.

Debora

Jaena, Fid, McAdder and 6 others like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

Thank you both. Much appreciated.

judy, Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you'd like to tell us what specific book you're referring to, we'd be happy to help you further.

Debora

Jaena, Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

Debora, thanks, I have so many cook books I have found recently that I want to list and sell. Mostly vintage Betty Crocker, Vintage BH &Gardens Cook Books, Settlement Cook Book, Julia Child Mastering The Art of French Cooking and so on. My apt is exploding with cook books.:eek:

I thinned out my own collection due to being GF and since that was a moderate success, I figured I would now branch out to these kind of books since the collectible market for glass (which is what I usually sell) is not great for me. I can not resist these books at sales. :D

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I hope you're being cautious. Most "old" books don't have much value despite attractive bindings.

Debora

8. pearlsnblume

I am. Thanks.

I kinda stick to what I know and I have been watching vintage cook book sales on eboo and esty (sold listings) to see what is selling and what to leave behind.

If the books turn out to be a dud, I donate them after I flip thru them.I do enjoy reading the old time recipes.

Jaena, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Happy selling!

Debora

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'd call it a pre-owned, actively used cookbook, show some representative pages, including stain or tear examples, be up front that you haven't examined every single page & buyer should expect signs of use. Might also be good if you stated that you cannot guarantee that no pages are missing. If it were literature, it would be a 'reader's copy' as opposed to a 'collector's copy'; fit for purpose; not pristine.

jsnggltt, judy, Jaena and 5 others like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

Thank you Bronwen. I have learned something new from what you wrote.
    Much obliged.
    And thanks to everyone for your help.

judy, Jaena, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

As a used bookseller, I do examine every book at least with a quick flip through. Rather than carefully turning every page, you sort of unfocus your eyes and fan through the pages. With practice, you can catch most things that appear out of place, like underlining or marginal notations. If I want to get the best price for a book, I will erase pencil underlining or notations. If there are ink markings or highlighting, I note how many pages are affected. Both practices provide an incentive to avoid buying marked books in the first place. :) I also note any particular flaws such as a previous owner's name, whether it is ex-library, or has any other shortcomings. For books with important plates or illustrations, it is important to be sure they are all there. I also try to note positive conditions, such as that the dust jacket is present, there are no markings (if that is the case), the binding is tight, etc.
    The better description you provide, the more confidence a buyer will have. They often will be willing to pay more for a well described book than for one with a canned description that leaves you uncertain whether the seller has actually examined that particular book.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    jsnggltt, judy, Jivvy and 9 others like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

Thank you 2many. I appreciate your helping me out.
    :)

14. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

I sell many books especially vintage cookbooks. I definitely do not bother checking every page unless its a high dollar book (>$50) . In my opinion, its far better to have a fast process and be flexible and willing to refund a customer if they are unhappy for any reason rather than spend hours going through pages of low dollar books.

jsnggltt, judy, Jivvy and 6 others like this.
  15. pearlsnblume

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your input here too.

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

to sell individual books on the continent is only reasonable when it's something special. in many countries they rose the postage prices for books or stopped the special book delivery completely. paperbacks go to the dump directly. hardcovers - history, philosophy etc. - separated by topic and in bundles that weigh appr. the price of a normal package.

17. pearlsnblume

Media mail here in the USA for books is reasonable compared to other shipping methods. I give my buyers a choice in case they need it in a hurry.
    A buyer needed her Haggadahs fast so I shipped them priority mail in time for the first night of Passover as per her request (this was months ago).

My biggest problem with selling thin books is finding the right size box to ship it in.
    The bigger binder cook books fit nicely in a plain 12x12x6 box which I keep in stock.

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

why don't you take bubble wrap envelopes for the thinner ones ?

19. pearlsnblume

Thanks that is a great idea. Thanks Fid. I have some here that I use for other items.

20. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

Media mail isn't dimensional rate. Why not put them in same size box

pearlsnblume, jsnggltt, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted