Racking my brains - what's the name for this quilt pattern?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by evelyb30, May 1, 2021.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I normally don't work from a pattern, never mind an old one. The square turned up in a bad 70s mat in a local thrift. It all but fell apart when I took it apart. Donated the frame.

DSCF5777.jpg

ulilwitch likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That fabric looks old. Victorian-old.

Debora

3. evelyb30

I think you're right about that. I figured as late as about 1920 and assembled pre-1930, but made from whatever was in the rag bag.

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a long time for a piece of fabric to be in a rag bag. How old was the frame?

Debora

5. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I have made several quilts and at first I thought it might just be what is called a crazy quilt but I see there is somewhat of a pattern so maybe sawtooth?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does look like a sawtooth variation.

Debora

ulilwitch likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

patd8643, komokwa and ulilwitch like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

9. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Debora likes this.
  10. evelyb30

That's it! I knew it was out there somewhere. Framing the singles is a good idea. Framing them in high acid mat in an ugly color? Not so much.

1970s or early 1980s. It's not that far fetched. If the fabric was made into curtains or clothing and the clothing got damaged or wore out, it could easily happen. I have hunks of 50s fabric here and have found uncut 1930s feed sack fabric before. (sold on Eboo for a nice chunk) It wouldn't be impossible to make a new square out of fabric older than you are.

DizzyDaff and ulilwitch like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

This dislodged a memory I hadnt thought of in years. When I was very young,like 5-6 ,there was a little old lady who lived in a tiny frame house about half a block away from us (she kept chickens,so ALL the kids were constantly feeding them and playing in the coop and getting ringworm,much to our mothers dismay!) and she would often give us ice cold sugar water and homemade cookies. But I digress! Suspended from the ceiling in her tiny front room was a quilting frame,and I used to love to sit and watch when she and her equally elderly friends would sit around it and work on it. She gave my mother a wedding ring quilt wich has long been gone. She died when I was like 8,and all of us kids were so sad .

12. evelyb30

Your moms weren't sad about the lack of ringworm, but a ceiling-hung quilt frame sounds familiar. One of those is necessary if you're hand-quilting something of any size and don't want it to get all lumpy.

Draft saved Draft deleted