Featured Rare Japanese Letters.....

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by HippAntiques, Mar 20, 2020.

1. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

So, I actually just have something fun and exciting to share. I figured you guys would appreciate it.

My Mother-in-law went to an auction in the 80s, and found a huge box of letters. They turned out to all be in Japanese, and were letters from a Japanese girl to her Father in a Concentration camp. There were letters from him as well, that he had written to her. They've been sitting in this box for years, and my husband got them recently. He works for a university, and he took them to a person there who specializes in Japanese history. They have been working on translating, but they were so happy to have them, that they made a news story about them, and they were on our local news. Then, a local museum saw the story, and asked if we would be willing to donate the letters.

My husband is taking them to the museum to donate them soon, and I'm so happy that they found a great home, and somebody is working on what they all say! So, after being hidden in a box for years, they'll now be enjoyed by others.

Just wanted to share. ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's SUCH an AWESOME thing to do!!!!:happy::happy::happy:

4. HippAntiques

Thanks for moving!

5. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

That's wonderful.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Fabulous! Thank you!

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

So interesting, and sad...

What state was he interred in?

Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

That is very interesting indeed! I cannot wait to see the movie that can be made from these! :joyful:

9. HippAntiques

I have no clue.

The letters were found in Spokane, Washington. His Daughter was living there when she wrote the letters.

10. HippAntiques

Ha! Wouldn't that be something!

antidiem, bercrystal and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted