Roman Psalter, Plantin 1571

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ex Libris, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

This a thread on one of the most spectacular books in my collection. I have added several links for the readers that want even more information.

The books itself is a folio sized (40x27x12 cm) and weighs more than 10 kilograms. This volume is bound in contemporary calf over wooden boards, with 8 brass knobs & corner pieces, and two brass clasps. The corner pieces and know were added to keep the book undamaged when it was lying open on a book standard. Because of the weight of the book, it will damage itself though..

IMG_1817.jpg

The contents of this book is a so called Roman Psalter or Psalterium Romanum in Latin and was printed in 1571 and 1572 bij Christophe Plantin in Antwerp. In 1572 Plantin printed supplement to this work called the Antiphonary. I think I have found a matching Antiphonary, it has the same binding, the same repairs and the same written additions.

Antiphonary

A psalter is a collections of musical scores, written in the so called "neumes". As you see in the pictures this notation contains only 4 staffs instead of the modern 5 staffs. Books like this were used for choirs (mostly monks or nuns in these times) to sing plainchants.

IMG_1835.jpg
    Most of the book looks like this
    IMG_1849.jpg

In this Youtube clip you can see how it was used and how it sounds:

A Roman Psalter is divided in two parts: The Proprium Tempore (Proper of the Season) and the Proprium Sanctorum (Proper Office of the Saints). It covers the period from Advent (end of November) until Pentecost. This start of the Advent was also the start of the liturgical year.

IMG_E1829.jpg
    IMG_1861.jpg

This is the first page. it is not completely clear to me if this book should have a frontispiece (title page). You see this page is repaired,
    IMG_1826.jpg

Somebody was not happy with this part
    IMG_1862.jpg

Some (missing/damage) pages were added later in manuscript.

IMG_1869.jpg

Christoph Plantin , royal chief printer (King Phillip II of Spain), printed this book in Antwerp 1571 (MDLXXI)

IMG_1873.jpg

It is quite difficult to find more information about this book. I know there is a description of it in The Plantin Press, by Leon Voet, I do not have access to a library near me where I can find it. These books are much more expensive than than I payed for the Psalter itself :(.

Attached Files:

Bronwen, McAdder, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  2. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

The proper name of the book is: Antiphonarii, iuxta breuiarium Roman. restitutu[m], pars hyemalis

I am still a bit puzzled about my edition, that mentions 2 dates: 1571 and 1572. A very similar book (the second part) was sold in 2014. The binding is exacly the same as mine, so I believe they belonged together once. Unfortunately the seller passed away about ten years ago.

Record in the STCV database

Here you see two monks singing from the same book (another (vellum) edition of course) in the Plantin Moretus Museum.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted