Russell Sambrook Oil On Canvas

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Sep 2, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

It is about 24 1/2" x 29 3/4" without the frame. I've checked past auction results and found prices from $900 to 20k. I guess it depends on the subject and the interest from the buyers.
    There is a rip on the canvas and wonder if I should seek help restoring it.
    Also, any idea when it was painted?
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The design is 30s/40s Illustrator. I'm going off those leather football helmets if nothing else. It looks to be about that age.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

And the knee-length argyle socks.

I bet the young fellow making the tackle was wearing knee-pants to school that very week or perhaps even pants just above the knee, reminiscent of all those young paperboys selling or home-delivering newspapers back then.

Kardinalismo, I really like the composition of the illustration. The football players form an almost complete circle in the air. The small dog although he is actively running adds a bit of "grounding" to the illustration, IMHO.

I think it is a sweet picture (even if the boys are playing at being "tough").

4. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  5. yourturntoloveit

Elarnia, I gave you a "like" . . . but I wish "it" would let me give you two or three more at least.

elarnia likes this.
  6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

elarina..I sure enjoyed all the paintings on the site you posted. :cat:

7. kardinalisimo

Thanks for the replies.
    Do you think Ebay is a good place to sell it or I should look for other alternatives?
    Also, restore it or not?
    Thanks

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

A cute dog never harmed sales.

Unless you have a good restorer on tap, reasonably cheap, I'd leave it. And I'd stick it in a decent real auction.

9. kardinalisimo

I have never used restorer's help so I will have to research what we have in my area. Maybe I should first contact some auction houses about an estimate value and their recommendation about restoration.

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good plan.

11. kardinalisimo

I doubt that the big auction houses will be interested in the piece. Any recommendations on a place where the chances of selling it are bigger?

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice find! Agree that you shouldn't do the repair. Often, if consigning with an auction house they will advise and, if warranted, will send out for repairs prior to auction. Of course, the cost of repairs will come out of your net so make sure you know what they will charge. Couple places to check out might be Swann auction gallery and Heritage Auctions.

13. kardinalisimo

Wrote to Heritage some time ago, no reply yet. Have not tried Swann.
    I got reply from Illustration House, NY. They give me a conservative estimate 5000-7000( based on past auctions they had).They say they have the right clients and there is a chance of bidding war that can exceed the estimate.
    Rough estimate on the restoration is $800-1000 but they will know for sure once they have the piece. They are not obliging me to do the restoration with them but recommended. The cost will be deducted from the final sale value.
    There is a $100 catalog fee and 10% from the sale(15% for less then 5k but they are sure it will go over).
    Auction is November.
    I am almost convinced to go with them but would like to hear your advice. Restoration cost sound a lot but I guess these guys know what they are doing.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sounds fair, especially for an auction house. They wouldn't offer to sell it if they didn't think they could make a buck.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  15. yourturntoloveit

Congratulations, Kardinalisimo, that is exciting news. Please keep us advised of the auction date.

16. verybrad

That restoration price sounds a bit high but I am sure it includes a good cleaning, conservation, and varnish. Might be worth it to make sure it is right. I would wait to see what the others say. I am not familiar with Illustration House but am guessing their name indicates they specialize in such works. If one of the others is having a specialized auction of illustration art, they might be better. If they are throwing it into a general auction, they might not be as good.

17. verybrad

Ran across this old 2009 thread about Illustration House. Looks like they have had some trouble paying consignors in the past. I don't know if this is relevant at all today but something worth researching/ thinking about. I did not read the whole thread but saw there was a post on the last page as recent as 2013. I also could not access their website for some reason :confused:

Otherwise, the seem like they might be a good option if you can satisfy yourself as to reliability.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3175727&fpart=1

18. kardinalisimo

Don't know why Heritage does not reply. Will email Swann to see what they will say.

Thanks for the link about the issues with Illustration House. If they are still in business I guess things are doing well.

19. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

Illustration House is the best-known venue in New York for this type of work.

I have never personally done business with them, but aside from a few incidents I'm not aware of any talk on the street.

20. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I just found Ill. House on FB,they have not posted on their timeline since March,2013. Here is a review,plus a few bad star ratings.. Good call Brad.

Never do business with Illustration House. Roger Reed is a thief and a liar. He sold a painting of ours YEARS ago and still refuses to pay us in full. He recently sent me a partial payment and the check bounced. He has withheld our money for years.
    Jennifer Lawler

Draft saved Draft deleted