Featured Salish weaving?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I recently found two small mats that @komokwa helped identify as likely Salish weavings, and that I posted elsewhere. Here they are:

33FF8ECE-A51F-42CD-9C18-0811EF24ED52.jpeg

Now yesterday, 300 miles away, I found this larger piece. It's about 34" x 20". It also has small fringe bundles on one end like the others. Is it also a Salish weaving?

Thank you.

52976600-FA1A-43E3-B8C7-5E4B60CDE26D.jpeg

8A5C85EB-2E71-4FC9-816E-1698201FF0D9.jpeg

7BB9AA24-14A6-42DF-94AB-42ABE9DCA94C.jpeg

BD173610-B5F7-4318-B0E7-FF3479014D41.jpeg

And here's another picture from my ongoing bike tour:

4472739D-7590-40B1-9AB5-4CB80D0A3058.jpeg

Attached Files:

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 7 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Your last pic, of the coastal sea...I sorely wanna be there, maybe spend a week or so. Thanks, a lot.

judy, Roaring20s and Potteryplease like this.
  3. Potteryplease

Yes, it's really, really pretty.

judy likes this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

They all appear, from the photos, to be Navajo Gallup Throws. Gallup Throws are an "almost exception" to the "no fringe on Navajo rugs" rule, in that they are woven with fringe on one end only.

Most were made in the first half of the 20th century, to be sold as souvenir items. They were quickly made, inexpensive, and their smaller size made them popular items for tourists to tuck in their luggage. So today it's not unusual for them to end up in unexpected places, far from their source.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. Potteryplease

Very cool! Thank you for the help.

judy likes this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Pot-Is that the Washington,Oregon or California Coast-beautiful. My friend biked from Santa Rosa up to the Canadian Border on HWY 1 (the coast route,it's called 101 in Oregon). How long, miles and time-wise is your trip going to last-send us more pics.You scored some beautiful weavings !

judy and Potteryplease like this.
  7. Potteryplease

Thanks. It's highway 101 on the south Oregon coast. (Exact location withheld, so as to not contribute to social media-ification of favorite spots ;).) I'm on day 8 today, 450 miles, end destination in CA tbd.

Thanks for asking!

Here's that latest weaving on my bike today: I know sun and salt air are prob terrible stewardship of a wool weaving, but what can I do, not buy it?

115A25D3-7722-42A6-AE4B-659C42F87EBF.jpeg
    1FDD7B42-A6F4-41B7-907B-C6467F93D979.jpeg

8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Lovvvvvve that area of the coast. I walked/hitched from San Diego to Portland on 1/101 when I was younger. It’s such an incredible place. It gets more and more beautiful the further north you go which is hard to believe when you see the beauty of so-Cal for the first time.

9. bosko69

Live 4-5 hours of north of there near the Washington border.I appreciate not divulging the location-'Portlandia' & Triple AAA Magazine has done enough ! The north country coast-from blank to blank (names witheld to protect natural beauty & critters) is quite extraordinary.Your tightly woven little masterpieces should withstand the salt,just don't boil salt water tea & strain it thru these.Welcome to the grandeur of the far west lands end friend ! -still knocks me out.

Figtree3, judy and Potteryplease like this.
  10. Potteryplease

That is amazing! An adventure, I'm sure.

judy likes this.
  11. Potteryplease

For sure! I've lived in P-town more than 20 years and have enjoyed those beaches from down at blank all the way up to blank.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. bosko69

Aint' that a kick in the head.City's been thru some tough times lately,although I still love it.We got here abt 20 yrs ago-6 months or so before 9/11.I worked at The Oregonian( when it was still an actual newspaper). I'd get off work round 8-8:30 pm and walk down to Naito Parkway & catch the bus to Lake Oswego.In the old days,we'd pull right in front of Powell's Books,browse,then park right in front of Huber's and have a turkey sandwich and Spanish coffee. We moved to some green-space south of the City,got a little land and a house.There's some space between Portlandia and us-but it's still an amazing city !
    Pickin' Portland back then-holy sh*%,wonders !

Figtree3, judy and Potteryplease like this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

‘Twas! No nice I wish I had done it twice. Great thing about being on foot or a bicycle is that you can investigate every nook or cranny that piques your curiosity. Seeing it by car is amazing too but on foot, oh my. Doing it when you’re 20 and people want to show you their favorite spot and invite you back to share in your adventure was a big part of why it was so fun I think. Even skeptical people, wary of strangers open up a bit for a bright eyed, bushy tailed kid. The coast was a big part of it but the people were just as much.

Potteryplease likes this.
  14. bosko69

Hitting the open road as a kid was like going on a journey w/ Frodo,Bilbo & the Merry Pranksters.Hitching back when the world was young was unbelievably magical-tough to get a sense of in our modern paranoid/Dr Caligari world.
    The 'Night Prowlers' and spontaneous mass massacres (Hitler & Stalin-i know,far away nightmares for us) were unknown in most of small town America.We snuck out of our bedroom windows at night and just roamed our neighborhoods,we were 12 and extraordinarily free-liberated in the darkness.

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted