Featured Sasak kris keris hilt

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by CarlyM, Mar 15, 2023.

1. CarlyM

CarlyM New Member

I came across this lovely fellow while shopping in Bali last week. The shopkeeper told me that he was from Lombok. I am now in Lombok and have asked some local friends if they know who he is, but they were not sure. They did tell me that he was a hilt from a kris/keris dagger. Then earlier today I was in a small shop here and came across a basket full of them, all antique and different characters. Does anybody know more about these or whether they might be worth purchasing to bring home?

Attached Files:

komokwa, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

This is a touchy subject to some here as the Keris & it's hilt are seen as a highly prized cultural , almost sacred item.

So, imo....a basket of them...are likely to be mostly if not all more recent carvings that never saw a blade, or if they did.....were not worth saving by collectors of family members.

That said.....you'd need a swift education of the carving styles and how to recognize the wheat from the chaff ....and we'd need to see what you are looking at to advise you if any that you see are worth more than tourist dollars.

Here's the one you show....but carved in a far superior manner to yours.

https://www.roots.gov.sg/Collection-Landing/listing/1069564

[​IMG]

.... something else to look at before our resident expert.....& I don't use that term lightly..... shows up .

keris hilt

calling @Any Jewelry , for further comment !!!:happy::happy:..:kiss:
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry, 2manybooks, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

[​IMG]

and this would be a respectful way to present them....

Any Jewelry, 2manybooks, Lark and 3 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He looks like Merdah to me, with that big nose and belly.
    Merdah is the Balinese version of Togog, a character of the Javanese Wayang Kulit puppet theatre.
    Wayang stories are often serious, but they also have comical characters called the Panakawan, who ridicule authority. The boss of the Panakawan is Semar, 'divine clown' and patron of Java. Semar imparts wisdom in a silly way. Togog is his brother.

When Bali was colonised by the East Javanese Majapahit empire, East Javanese customs and culture were introduced, including Wayang and many of its characters. Many names and appearances were changed, which is how Semar became Twalen, and Togog became Merdah.

When the Majapahit empire fell, the Javanese governors stayed in Bali and became kings. Some of these kings colonised Lombok, which is why you can find Balinese culture in parts of Lombok.
    That Lombok Balinese culture is not Sasak culture, and the keris is not a native Sasak dagger. The Sasak have their own ceremonial knives.
    Some Sasak have adopted some Balinese customs though, like wearing a keris on special occasions.

As far as I know, the keris hilt carvers on Lombok are ethnically Balinese. There are currently some very good hilt carvers on Lombok.
    Are you sure they were antique? The one in your photo isn't antique. It is only one small photo, but as far as I can see it is mid-20th century at the earliest.

Indonesians (and many other Asians) often have a different concept of antique, especially in the tourist areas. Old is called antique, and antique is called Majapahit, even if it was made many centuries after the Majapahit empire.;)
    Togogan ("statue") keris hilts are always charming and decorative. Most togogans in the market are not antique, but that doesn't matter to most buyers, they go for the decorative quality.
    You have to watch out though, the Balinese also make very convincing resin copies, which are sold worldwide. Usually as copies, but there are always dishonest sellers.
    Whether the ones you saw are a good investment, depends on if they are handcarved wood, how much the seller asked for them, and if you want them for yourself or for resale.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  5. Any Jewelry

Many sellers use these stands, made in Bali, and 'antiqued' in the usual way. The hilts are on thin rods similar to the ones you posted:

DSC02011 - kopie.JPG

This one is mine, as are the hilts. Apologies for the bad quality pic, it is late afternoon here.
    I also buy new hilts if their symbolism appeals to me. The dates of these North Javanese and Madurese hilts vary from the 17th century to about 15 years ago. The oldies among them certainly need to be treated with respect, they were made to cooperate with keris, and even keep it in check if necessary.

6. komokwa

or whether they might be worth purchasing.........

if they look like hers........buy em !!!! ;);):happy:

7. Any Jewelry

:happy::kiss:

I think Carly will mostly come across the Balinese style figurine-like hilts, which the ones in that photo aren't (some museum quality pieces though).

These are some of my Balinese hilts, the one on the right with the silver hilt cup is a fairly recent Lombok hilt, carved by "the master carver of Lombok":

DSC09083 (640x425).jpg

8. komokwa

well then......if they look like those........ buy em !!!! ;);):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted