Featured Satsuma, lantern or magic!?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Apr 28, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I can’t get over how nice this satsuma plate is. I’ve had a little bit of good satsuma including one of my favorite things but the work on this one is impeccable. It really doesn’t come through in this low resolution, poorly lit photo but it is awesome in person. My question though is what do you think is happening? The way the artist was able to capture illumination is so cool. Is the fella shining a lantern or is he doing some magic? Also what do you suppose that fella (a beggar?) is doing to the samurai’s pike/lance/spear or whatever they called them in Japan? Surely since the samurai is holding it in one hand he would feel it being jostled if the fella were doing much to it. I wonder what he’s got up his sleeve? E62C816D-ABCE-45B3-9A02-9C3822249EFC.jpeg 1299EA09-4E2F-46CF-A6F8-38D161FDF459.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is the beggar trying to steal his wallet ?

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It does look well done.

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Samurai...wallet?? Gimme a break, komo!

J Dagger likes this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

How large...an' what's the back look like?

J Dagger likes this.
  6. komokwa

[​IMG]

ya....wallet...

Figtree3, kentworld, J Dagger and 6 others like this.
  7. komokwa

luv the expressive faces.......

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Could the figure on the ground be a crippled weaver of mats? Sheaf of straw behind, mat under him & what could be a walking stick/crutch (I know it looks flimsy) in his hand? Barefoot dude looks like a samurai Jesus trying to heal him.

9. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

very nice indeed

the expressions and body positions do seem to suggest caught in the act of stealing

love the texture on the standing samurai's outer jacket, would it be a type of fur ?

certainly looks like it, but dont know if that was commonplace

10. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

When I saw the image, I thought those two lines were cracks in the plate :bag::rolleyes:

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Probably a scene from a popular story or play.
    The seated person does seem to be a beggar, albeit very nicely dressed. Maybe he is pulling at the spear to get the samurai's attention?

12. J Dagger

That could be!

13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I can't figure the story out, but that's some painting on the faces and the illumination from the lamp is cool. Never seen anything like it.

komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  14. J Dagger

It’s pretty small unfortunately. Probably 6-7” diameter. Back is not marked/signed, again unfortunately. I mean that’s pretty common for old satsuma but a big $ mark is always better.

komokwa likes this.
  15. J Dagger

Samurai Jesus has to be the name of an anime or band. Lol. He could be a weaver! I thought it was an extension of the samurai’s pike but could be the beggars stick.

komokwa, Bronwen and charlie cheswick like this.
  16. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

i never noticed that before, so trying to get his attention makes the most sense

kentworld, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted