Featured Seeking advice this gothic chandelier

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueAnimals, Jun 7, 2020.

?

Do you think this is cool?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2020.
  1. Yes!

100.0%
  2. Hell no!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AntiqueAnimals

AntiqueAnimals Active Member

My husband came home with a box containing the loose parts of what appears to be a pewter (I do not know this for sure, very soft, dark silver + sorta brassy, magnet doesn’t stick) dragon chandelier. I love lighting parts and think this is the coolest thing ever, but I can’t figure out how it goes together!
    Here are the parts.
    There appears to be the remains of wiring inside the “candle” holders (could be anything really but there were other wiring components in the box, just a few broken caps). The candle arms have small dragon heads at the tips.
    I think I see how it goes in the ceiling, attaches the large octogon to the square (only photo’d 3 of the rods connecting the 2 but I found the 4th one since then), and I see where the face accents likely go...then I am lost. How do the dragons and candle arms attach?
    Could it be another metal?
    Any guesses as to value? Maker? Time period?

Big thanks to any lighting lovers out there! Or, just the normal people who always answer me with crazy knowledge in here!!

Kate

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

24FAA05D-A115-46EC-A843-2BF3F4158E34.jpeg

Very cool!
    Love to see it put together!

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. AntiqueAnimals

Me too!!! I hope I get to!

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

In your first picture, it looks like there's a LONG arm at the top--near the top left corner....can you show us that whole piece?? From what I can see, it looks VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or maybe I'm just see one of the 3 pieces you had laid out in a triangle that you had found the 4th of later.....?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

From the look I'd guess 1880s-90s.

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Gothic revival or in French, google for "lustre neo-gothique":) to see more.
    Metal is surely not pewter or spelter, more probably brass alloy, and maybe different metals for different parts :)cyclops:try a little scratch test on unconspicuous places to see hardness and metal color underneath!). Lacking the suspension chains?
    Agree with the timeframe Ghopper1924 gave you, it seems it wasn't first intended for electricity, but for candles.

7. AntiqueAnimals

Great, thanks!

About the metal, I have scratched and it seems to be the same brassy matte grey throughout. The small parts that broke on the little face pieces don’t reveal any stinger or different colored metal.

off to look this up, I’m super grateful for your input!

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. AntiqueAnimals

I don’t see a long piece?? There’s def only 3 long hooked things. I’m sorry I’m not sure where you mean? Are you able to show me?

9. AntiqueAnimals

When I looked up
    my pulse rose: it’s So Beautiful!!!

kyratango likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, Kate.:)
    You will show us, won't you?

11. AntiqueAnimals

I get to? DEFINITELY.

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

"(only photo’d 3 of the rods connecting the 2 but I found the 4th one since then)," This is the phrase I was referring to, but maybe I was mistaken....you had 3 pieces laid out in a triangle.....I had thought maybe you were referring to a fourth.

I think we all hope you can get it together....we're anxious to see it assembled!!!!

kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
  13. AntiqueAnimals

There’s one more of the things in a triangle -
    So 4 of those rods will hang from the 4 loops that connect to the ceiling piece, then the little faces go on each side....

but how to connect the candle arms and dragons?? In the box it was in (and supposedly whole) were some bolts and things but they’re copper. The style is similar, but not the color so I assumed it was from some other item...I think I need to take a closer look at those. Maybe it will reveal where they connect. Or maybe the owner forgot that it was in 2 boxes and I am missing pieces and will have to sell the parts, which would suck, but it’s still very cool.

kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
  14. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@AntiqueAnimals Really Neat ! Possibly was a gas lamp??? There is a guy in San Jose that does antique lighting, you might call him and shoot him some pictures.... I am pretty sure he might be able to help you ...his shop is really great .....OH NO ! it says his shop is closed !!!! You might try to call anyway....... if he is really closed for good , it is a loss...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/phoenix-antique-lighting-san-jose

15. AntiqueAnimals

Oh that’s great, I will call him for sure. I was hoping for a pro lighting person!

I appreciate the info and hope he’s checking messages. I’ll le you know how it turns out :)

much appreciated!!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. AntiqueAnimals

Oh that’s great, I will call him for sure. I was hoping for a pro lighting person!

I appreciate the info and hope he’s checking messages. I’ll le you know how it turns out :)

much appreciated!!

Draft saved Draft deleted