Featured Silk tapestry

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by J Dagger, Feb 14, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

This came from the Italian house. I figured it’s just a wall hanging? Wondering where/when it may be from? Italian made? Chinese/Asian made for west? Approximately 40” square. Also any tips of getting the wrinkles out? Garment steamer or would that be bad? EF88F523-7CAD-4EF2-9066-D129E9329F67.jpeg BB23DDB8-1CD4-4D4A-85C5-50846210723A.jpeg 6E4884D7-484B-41A1-A206-B88A646AEAB5.jpeg 214EFCDC-3423-4390-9750-5D89A4F6774F.jpeg 6E496B4C-984E-4E94-BB0F-2B83335F7E00.jpeg

silverbell, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the colors. It looks like a slipcover of some sort ? maybe for a pillow?

judy, pearlsnblume, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Measurements might help.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. J Dagger

They are pretty. Even at 40”x40”?

judy, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  5. J Dagger

I mentioned 40” sq in post :)

judy and komokwa like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Are they only open on one side ? 40x40 is awfully big .I wouldnt steam them,Id let professionals do it. Ive never had much luck doing things myself. Ask the navajo rug I threw in the washer !

7. Bakersgma

Sorry. I got so engaged in the strange scenes of each side and trying to understand how many pieces each side is made of that I lost sight of that. Can you describe more details about how it is put together?

judy and J Dagger like this.
  8. Bakersgma

And how do you know it's silk?

J Dagger likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is it like a pillow sham??? Like what Johnnycb09 suggested??? Looks like it has opening on one end at least............

J Dagger likes this.
  10. J Dagger

you can join my club of folks not being the best at doing things themselves lol. Navajo rug in the wash sounds pretty bad. A local lady has a pretty one for sale with a giant ink stain on it. I’ll be sure not to recommend the washing machine to her. I’m going to need to take another look tomorrow. I only recall one side open and maybe the bottom.

11. J Dagger

All good. Honestly the construction confuses me even looking at it in person. I’ll have to get back to y’all tomorrow when I see it with a fresh set of brains, I mean eyes. Here’s a couple more pics. I thought maybe just the side stitching came loose at first but I don’t know if that’s actually the case. It seems not to be. I actually am not positive it’s silk. It’s possible I think anything shiny and soft is silk. I may need a lesson on that someday. Maybe it’s fine rayon. F9ED9A35-9B23-4ED6-8E12-A1672C220B74.jpeg 506A953D-4B2A-4CFA-8C8B-E2D9E1F178D1.jpeg A208AE5B-7FF0-48A7-8055-D0C703B03800.jpeg

johnnycb09, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. J Dagger

I never considered it due to the size. It’s not impossible but I didn’t get that impression.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like Florentine silk. Florence, Italy, is known for beautiful silk, often with Renaissance-inspired motifs.
    Maybe you're a bit scared to do this, but I would iron it on the 'silk' setting (lowest).

johnnycb09, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes -- And turn it inside out, if possible. Or iron on reverse side if possible.

@J Dagger , if you do a search on "getting wrinkles out of silk" you'll find videos and also web pages with hints and instructions. Assuming it's silk would be a good idea, as that might be the riskiest of the possibilities.

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I would say it is not a wall hanging to to the fringe on both ends so pillow sham most likely.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Could it be a Wedding Blanket?

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Appears to be a jacquard fabric (not a tapestry).
    I'm wondering if it was made from remnants due to the motifs on each side not being centered and the border design only being along one side and the bottom.
    It's also strange that two different fringes were used along the bottom on the peacock side.
    My own first impression is rayon but I bow to AJ's expertise in this area and she says silk.
    I agree that it appears to be a cover of some sort, and not particularly a wall hanging, but the 40"x40" size is odd...?
    Very pretty!

EDIT: I've just noticed that the back panel appears to be attached upside-down to the front panel?

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was commenting on the style rather than the material. I can't tell from here what it is, and when in doubt, I do the burn test. Although I can't do that from here.:playful:

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and bluumz like this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would agree with those who think this is more likely artificial silk.

Debora

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It does appear to be cobbled together from bits and pieces. I notice that 1/4 of the fringe is a different type from the rest. :confused:

In this photo, is the top section folded over to form a tube/sleeve that a rod could go through? If so, it suggests someone made a wall hanging from it at some point.

[​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted