Featured Silver Bracelet: Info Request

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eekakinzie, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

BD15D64A-A7D3-490A-A367-DC0490A2194B.jpeg 784275EA-20AB-4751-ADD2-FB0A31EF2997.jpeg 4AA9AB0D-6D70-4744-B0A7-B3CBC8D637BA.jpeg View attachment 276411 784275EA-20AB-4751-ADD2-FB0A31EF2997.jpeg Hi! I just joined this board because I’m looking for information on this bracelet. I’ve had it for 30+ years, and have always loved it, but recently I started thinking that it may have more value than « merely » sentimental. I believe it’s real silver, although I can’t find any hallmarks. I did a reverse image search and found photos with certain elements of my bracelet from Tunisia, Uzbekistan(sp??), Italy and a few others- but nothing really close enough. I also don’t know what words to search FOR ( the sort of pointy shape of the pieces, or they type of clasp that it has...) When I wear it too long, the sections start to bend a bit- I always thought it was bc it was cheapie- but after reading online today- I really think it could be silver. Also, there are red beads (stones???) in the middle of each section, and the orangish beads have never broken, so I dont think they’re plastic or glass... Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    KSW, pearlsnblume, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome. Can you go back to your post, select edit & other options (or more options, I forget) & then select to make all your photos full size. It's easier for us.

KSW, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry She's our resident expert on things like this. Does it have any marks you can find? They may not look like jewellery marks you are used to.

KSW, bercrystal, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

hi! Sorry it took me a while to figure out how to do it. Is that better? I’ve looked absolutely everywhere for anything that could be a halmark but nothing stands out. Also, its been in my jewelry box for at least 10 years (!!) and I just saw today that its all tarnished. Maybe under there could be one, although I remember looking when I first got it and not finding anything, which is why I thought it was cheapie...

KSW, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Think you could post a larger image of the back...keeping it UNDER 1 MB!!!! Thanks!!! This is LOVELY!!

FB0A31EF2997-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

KSW, reader, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Eekakinzie, love your bracelet.
    You're on the right track. It is North African, could be Tunisian, could also be Egyptian, like my ring:

upload_2020-9-13_18-17-39.jpeg

Florence, Italy has manufactured jewellery in an Orientalist style, inspired by North African jewellery. That elegant shape on the top and bottom does have some similarities to Uzbek designs. But your bracelet is neither Italian nor Uzbek, it is genuine North African.
    I am sure it is silver, check with a loupe for tiny marks, which could even be on the hinges. Every little dot could be a mark.

KSW, patd8643, reader and 8 others like this.
  7. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

KSW, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yer still learning.............but that's a kick ass bracelet !!!!!:woot::woot:
    U should be wearing it !!!!;):):):)

9. Any Jewelry

Just a little note on why it is difficult to specify the exact part of North Africa.:)
    The style is called 'citedine', which originated in the North African coastal cities. The population was multi-cultural: Berber, Moorish (Arab/Berber mix), Jewish and European. From that cosmopolitan mix came this style, one of my favourite ethnic jewellery styles.:happy:

KSW, patd8643, Modest Muse and 6 others like this.
  10. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

Thanks so much for this info (and sorry if this has posted twice!). That is just
    Thats sooooo cool!! What a crazy adventure this bracelet has had ( I actually found it under a clothes rack of a store I worked at years ago. A really cool, kind of bohemian-looking woman came in- she was maybe 60 or 70, long gray hair, tons of cool jewelry, etc. We chitchatted for a while, and she left. That night while cleaning up I found the bracelet ( I knew it was hers bc she was NOT the normal clientele...) I kept it at the register for a while and told everyone to look out for her, but she never came back in. I kept it and have always loved it! Do you think it could be antique? Will they appraise it if it doesnt have a halmark? Thanks soooo much for all of the info!!

KSW, reader, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  11. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

Thats so cool! It’s also making me question a lot of the “junk jewelry” I’ve passed to the kids to play with!!

KSW, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

lucky kids !!!!

will who appraise it?

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

I was just wondering if it was antique should I find out if it’s worth something?? I dont know... I have a bowl full of thrifted junk and I think this might be the only real silver in there!

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

4208E2E4-7C4E-42F8-A815-D8DB05C575C8.jpeg 19D26E55-047F-4302-86C4-BD83F32FFDC7.jpeg 6995FDF2-211A-42AF-B873-8581734E76D4.jpeg
    Do you think this is from the same area (it always gave me the same “vibe”- my daughter wears it when she plays fortune teller (hence the mickey mouse bandaid!)...

The second photo could be a hallmark?

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  15. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Your second item has rust on it so unlikely to be silver. See if it sticks to a magnet if it does then it’s not silver.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. komokwa

that may be, but yes i'd say it was worth something..........
    not a new car...but not a pack of smokes either....

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

Ah!! Noted- thanks!

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Great story, she sounds like my kind of person.
    It isn't antique, I think mid to late 20th century. An appraiser would put a value on it equivalent to any silver bracelet of the same weight, after which he would charge you a bundle.
    No it isn't, it is a different style. It isn't the same quality either.:( It looks like it is from Afghanistan, Pakistan, that general region. It is likely to be either base metal or a very low silver content. The mark is probably a maker's mark.
    But keep them coming, you never know.;)

19. Eekakinzie

Eekakinzie Member

Thank you!

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I wore my citedine earrings today - as id'd by aj. ;)

KSW, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted