Silver plate trophy

Discussion in 'Silver' started by johnnycb09, Feb 19, 2018.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I dont even usually look at silver plate,but the shape of this caught my eye and then I saw it was a tennis trophy from 1937. I know who made it (bernard rice and sons)but I cant find who the winner was (Francis Kelley) or who D.Y.C. is. Its 4 inches high,5 1/2 wide.Any input is always welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a teapot... for ladies singles......what did the runner up get......an iron....toaster....vacuum....????? :(:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

I would *think* that DYC stands for (something that starts with D) Yacht Club that ran a tennis tournament among the members. Frances Kelley did well to win, but I doubt she would be a "known" tennis player.

4. komokwa

you're right.......just a known Club Member...

judy and kyratango like this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Maybe a Youth Club? Logo looks like a mixture of the Fred Perry wreath and the Wimbledon racquets.
    I remember reading somewhere a winner of Wimbledon Ladies singles many years ago got a low amount Harrods Gift token as her prize.

judy likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Detroit Yacht Club?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Frances Kelley, the more usual spelling for a female.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Another definite possibility, Houseful. Thanks for bringing up Fred Perry - I did not know who he was and it looks like he was a very colorful guy. :rolleyes:

This really can't have anything to do with him, though, could it? His clothing line didn't get started until after WWII. Was that "wreath" something that came from Wimbleton?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

That must have been when they frowned severely on "professionals."

Houseful likes this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bakersgma, kyratango, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  11. johnnycb09

Thats cause that darn cardinal spelled that way kept popping up all over searching for Frances ! I guess it lodged in my head ! Very interesting leads everyone,thank you for the efforts,very much appreciated. :)

12. komokwa

google..& other searches can at times be very frustrating.

13. Bronwen

If they were women only at the time, why would the trophy specify 'Ladies' (& use a teakettle as an award for college educated women)?

Bakersgma and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. johnnycb09

The only other viable candidate is Detroit Yacht Club,and theres a newspaper archive available,but they want you to pay to use it. More and more Im running into that.

15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

16. Bakersgma

That was a good find, Davey. Only thing that bothers me is that the main page for the club cites an age of "more than 50 years" which is vague enough to be possible but surely they would have cited a greater age if it existed 81 years ago. The trophy is 81 years old.

This is relatively close to @Bev aka thelmasstuff maybe she knows?

17. Houseful

Well, women professionals, I remember hearing on TV the men got much better prizes. Think it was a documentary when they were interviewing Billie Jean King.

18. Houseful

Probably not Fred then, I think the victory wreath went back a long time before then, Roman Emperors etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted