Featured Small black carved Tea pot Wedgwood style..XIXth Cent ????

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BTZ64, Feb 24, 2023.

?

Wegwood or not Wegwood..??? Origine Age..???

1. British Ceramic ,Oriental Tea pot...???

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Black Basalt or Porcelaine..??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hi to all of you...Hope you all keeping well..!!!!!
    Just needing your help for my last Trouvaille..!! This tea Pot found in a bricabrac..Which was very dirty...Thought that I would find the inscription Wedgwood under it....But nothing,no marks...
    So,despite it does look old or even ancient...I have now ,no idea of what type of Ceramic it is belong to..??
    Dims are: 11cm Diam and 6cm base...No crack..No repair...Am lost a little...Would have like to read Wedgwood under...So Mystery..??? Hopefully somebody of you will have a good idea. Thanking you in advance.JJB 20230224_095355.jpg 20230224_095418.jpg 20230224_095438.jpg 20230224_095457.jpg

Rec, Houseful and komokwa like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is this Chinese? Yixing?

BTZ64 likes this.
  3. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Not a clue...???? Thanks to you...Thought it was british....Will check Yixing....

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Others might know.

BTZ64 likes this.
  5. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hopefully Thanks..!!!

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think this is Yixing ware. Here is a link to the Yixing section of Gotheborg can see what it looks like. https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/yixing.shtml

There is also something odd about that piece sticking up out of the base.

pearlsnblume, Houseful and BTZ64 like this.
  7. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Yes,I agree...Quite Bizare piece..!!! Hope somebody will know...

8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I dunno. Looks like another handle over the top has broken off at some point? The decoration looks somewhat Indian to me or maybe Indonesian! I'm guessing, but "southeast Asian" somewhere, LOL!

9. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

There must be a word or a name for that cone shaped tube coming up from the center of the teapot.

I know I've seen one before, most probably somewhere on this board, but heck if I can remember if it was ever solved.

BTZ64 likes this.
  10. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks..Might be useful to investigate..??

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That odd insert thing isn't Brit.

BTZ64 likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not so much an insert as a hole in the base allowing heat to Tavel up thru it.....

interesting

BTZ64 likes this.
  13. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Interesting little teapot. Reminds me of the kashmiri samovar teapot, but they are usually cast metal. This one looks more like an earthenware chinese yixing teapot. Perhaps a Chinese export made for the Indian market?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    BTZ64 likes this.
  14. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Interesting what you just said...In fact the texture material of this Tea Pot seems actually made of an heavy texture reminding me of iron stone ceramic...Used long time ago in Indonesia for Burmese Martaban jars....I think this small tea pot is as you preconised...Chinese Indonesian for the Indian/British market...So would think XIXth Century..??? What do you think..???? Thanks pls to respond if you can..

Rec likes this.
  15. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

First, an antique teapot must show any tear and were but i cant see here as samovar teapot, so i dont know.
    if its antique the size of the teapot, although not straightforward, may give you a clue. For instance, teapots made in the 18th century had a smaller shape because tea was expensive at that time. Therefore, only small amounts were brewed, which explains why the teapots had smaller sizes. if this teapot was produced for britisch market it could be 18th to 19th century.

I found also this info on the net this might be helpfull To identify antique teapot by shape.
    Teapots until the 1700s had a rounded shape. After the 1700s, teapots began to take the pear shape. By the 1800s, teapots took straight sides. After that, they went back to the round shape, but this time they were fatter than those made before the 1700s. Another way of dating teapots is to look at features. Antique teapots made in early 1700 didn’t feature glazing under the lid and the inside of the teapot rim.

BTZ64 likes this.
  16. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Very very interesting...Big Merci to learn...

Rec likes this.
  17. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Again...Just remeasured it...Very small...10.5 cm diam including thickness of ceramic...XIX th For sure....Would love somebody somewhere got the same or equivalent with exact provenance....Again... Thanks for your time and investigation...jjb

Rec likes this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

komokwa, kentworld, BTZ64 and 2 others like this.
  19. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's like a cadogan, but if you filled it from the bottom, the water would keep on going. The top just doesn't look right.

20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And the clay and exterior design looks nothing like Yixing to me. (And not Wedgwood either. ;))

Draft saved Draft deleted