Featured Small jardiniere in ceramic majolica ID help please?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KylieS, Jul 9, 2023.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hello I hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

I have a little mystery today picked up in France at a brocante- stamped and marked but I haven't been able to ID it.

I think it's French enamel (but not even totally sure o that tbh) and I would say aged 1920-1950) as it has a deco-ish cast to the colourway (though the design isn't really) and the feel of the impressed numbers.

Marked on the base with '1562' and a painted mark of a dot inside a square.

I'm not sure if it's trying to look like Charles Catteau, unusual to find piece of enamel ware from one of the good decorators unmarked - though there is a possibility it cracked in firing (there's a fault on the handle) and maybe it's been marked as a second?

Anyway would love to hear if anyone knows where I might start looking!

Thank you :happy: 20230709_151232.jpg 20230709_151234.jpg 20230709_151431.jpg
    20230709_151527.jpg 20230709_151657.jpg
    16889113850693602455464840539612.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very pretty !!!!!!!

pearlsnblume and KylieS like this.
  3. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you @komokwa ! It is a sweet thing - I hope I can find the maker, I've kept looking but no joy yet. Fingers crossed someone has seen something like it before!

KSW, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pearlsnblume and KylieS like this.
  5. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Yes, it's this sort of form - just can't tell from the marks who made it! I've never heard the term 'wedding jardiniere' before - is that what this is? I was wondering whether to call it a cache pot rather than a planter (it's a little small) so it might bee a term that's helpful to know ;)

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I would have purchased that in a NY minute. Love the colors.
    Maybe it is considered a compote or comporte? Just guessing.

KSW, Figtree3 and KylieS like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not majolica.

KSW and crowleys like this.
  8. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

No sorry it's enamel work with some barbotine details. Don't know why I put majolica in the title!

KSW, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  9. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Nice item but I doubt that you will find the maker.

10. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you, John! I have a suspicion you might be right there - I was hoping it would be a more common style that someone might recognize, but apparently not.

I'm going to sell this, so I think I'll probably just go with "probably French" (since bought here) and "early 20th century" and "showing influences from the style of Charles Catteau." I know it's not exactly right for him but that use of primary colours on a white ground has that feel.

I suspect it might be made up near Longwy, Saint Clement or in Belgium. But really I don't know, could be Austrian or German too maybe?

Anyway, I've spent enough time searching for this with no luck - if the good people of Antiquers can't help, it's over!! :hilarious:

Thanks again :happy:

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume and John Brassey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted