Featured Small Talavera Ginger Jar - New or Older?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 1, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This small Mexican Ginger Jar is 9 inches tall and 5 1/2 inches diameter at its widest point. It is made of red clay and marked TAL MEX on the bottom, which I understand means Talavera Pottery. I was attracted to its bright colors and its handmade/hand painted look. That said, the painting is sloppy and the pottery is somewhat lumpy. It has a small chip on the lid, which is why it was donated. I usually don't buy pottery, but it made me happy. I also wanted to learn about this source of pottery and whether like some Mexican art it has a long history with many tributaries.

Any insights will be appreciated.

IMG_5889.jpg IMG_5890.jpg IMG_5891.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like the colors, too, and can see why it attracted you. I hope somebody can help with the history!

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. There is a lot about the Spanish Talavera, but I haven't found anything but ads for the Mexican.

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Figtree3

Okay, Talavera pottery appears to be a pottery method or tradition, not necessarily the name of a company. There is a lengthy article on Wikipedia, which you may have seen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talavera_pottery

The article does go into some detail on the nature of the Mexican production.

It seems to me that the mark on the bottom could well be a generic mark, not the mark of a company. Not sure, and will hope for others who know more to come along.

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Figtree3

i need help likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Debora
    Interesting article for sure, and also the observation about the workmanship which like mine appears to be unsophisticated. Thank you for this.
    Kiko

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, "Tal." indicates a place not a maker. You know... To my eye, the motif on your jar is a design more likely to be found on Moroccan ceramics. Given quality of execution isn't terribly high, wonder if it wasn't a recent, inexpensive beach resort souvenir marketed to the -- how shall we say -- uninitiated.

Debora

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Duh. I didn't think to look there. Thank you very much. I was overwhelmed with ads and just threw in the towel.

10. KikoBlueEyes

Could certainly be. Since I'm from Southern California, I just assumed it was from Mexico. I got it at a resale shop, so who knows where it came from. But this discussion and your thoughts have been very worthwhile. Thank you very much.

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It looks like an artichoke?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Actually, the design is peacock.

[​IMG]

upload_2020-4-2_7-58-19.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

I found these after reading @Figtree3's post on the Wikipedia article.

15. KikoBlueEyes

Found one similar with broken link on a site specializing in Mexican Talavera Pottery
    [​IMG]

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you for educating me re the motif. It is indeed called "pavo real" or "peacock."

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Great. New search term. Thank you!

18. KikoBlueEyes

I had to share this :D
    [​IMG]

19. KikoBlueEyes

20. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Talavera is typically from Puebla which is a 2-million city two hours away to the South from Mexico City. There is a large number of small companies where they make ceramics, all of which has the denomination of origin. Usually, each company would mark the item with their name, unlike in this one. I will try to explore more on this one, though

Draft saved Draft deleted