Featured Some interesting bits in my latest jewellery haul

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ryan Kirk gregory, Sep 20, 2020.

1. I would be grateful for any information on these bits i have found. Thank you

The first item is this lovely iridescent green necklace bracelet and earring set. all the clasps are 925 silver, i don't know what the material is, some kind of green coral?

IMG_1341.JPG IMG_1341.JPG IMG_1343.JPG

Then i found this pearl necklace, i'm not sure if this kind of pearl is desirable?
    no makers mark but an interesting clasp.
    IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1346.JPG

And lastly I found these lovely YSL stamped clip on earrings. All the other YSL vintage earrings online seem to be worth a good chunk, but I couldn't find these exact ones anywhere. I wasn't sure if they may be catalogued somewhere?

IMG_1347.JPG

Thank you for looking!

Attached Files:

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Here you go :)

IMG_1369.JPG

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

KSW, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Thank you, I hadn’t found that variation no, I never considered it was the Maltese cross

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pure 1980s. Crosses everywhere.

Debora

annas-first-vogue.jpg

7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

And that Lacroix sweater remains the ultimate example of that trend. I considered converting to justify owning it.

Any Jewelry, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, KSW, judy and 3 others like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Israeli model.

Debora

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know if those slivery pieces in the first set are considered pearls or simply mother of pearl. It has been dyed to that color. Don't know what the little chips are that complete the necklace, can't see them well. Interesting construction on the bracelet.

The white baroque pearls are not terribly valuable, but not junk either. Cool clasp.

KSW, judy and reader like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

patd8643, Any Jewelry, KSW and 4 others like this.
  12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

The baroque white pearls look like Mallorca\Majorica imitation pearls.

komokwa, Any Jewelry, KSW and 2 others like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The green look like dyed Biwa style, the chips look Peridot. I don't think the white ones are Majorica, they use marked clasps, but they may well be another Mallorca maker.

14. Bronwen

Did you mean 'imitation', fake, or 'cultured', artificially induced? I have not seen pearls quite like these, so want to learn if they are not actually nacre.

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  15. Bronwen

kyratango and KSW like this.
  16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I don't think those are cultured or fake pearls. They look very real to me!
    Can someone advise the best way to test for pearls without damaging them? Something, perhaps, beyond the tooth test?

The green ones look like died abalone shell bits and I've not seen that sort of construction before.

KSW likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Cultured pearls are real, they both grow in molluscs. Cultured simply means the mollusc was encouraged to produce a pearl by adding a grain.

antidiem, kyratango, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  18. kyratango

Imitation! Made of fish scales powder, mixed with resin, applied in several layers and buffed.
    From there:
    https://www.abc-mallorca.com/history-of-mallorcan-pearls/
    To possess genuine pearls was the privilege of the rich and powerful until well into the 19th century. A drop from a pearl oyster was (and still is) rare and valuable, making it a very desirable object. In those days pearls were not only used for necklaces, bracelets, brooches and rings, but more frequently than today, they were twisted into the hair, sewn onto clothes, hats, oriental turbans and gowns for decoration or were used as buttons. In the Middle Ages they adorned magnificent book covers, reliquaries and royal caskets. In short, everything that was to be enhanced in spiritual value, social prestige, or aesthetic appeal was done so with pearl.
    The tradition of pearl-making on Mallorca

[​IMG]
    In view of the price of pearls, people at that time sought affordable alternatives. In the 17th century a rosary manufacturer from Paris discovered that the sticky material on fish scales could be used to coat glass beads. This gave them a certain pearly shimmer. Then, in the 19th century the Japanese invented the cultured pearl bringing an end to the upper-class exclusivity of pearl jewellery. However, for many the breakthrough for pearls as reasonably priced jewellery came about 100 years ago and the demand for pearls increased rapidly in the European capitals. Eduard Hugo Heusch, a German engineer who had emigrated to France, worked in Paris on a process to manufacture artificial pearls and eventually founded a company that he later transferred to Manacor in Mallorca to produce his 'Majórica' pearls.

Making process:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  19. kyratango

Mallorcan pearls (not the best quality here:facepalm:)
    Interieur-784x400-Article-PIAF-4-8.png
    The sticks are not mother of pearl\shell, but freshwater cultivated pearls, here are some of mine:
    Resized_20200921_163724_104516688278973.jpeg

komokwa, antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

I love Majorica pearls, which are the best ones. Ma used to buy them in the sixties, and I've bought more modern pieces.

Draft saved Draft deleted