Featured Sterling Pins Age and Possible Maker?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by 'Nuff_Said, May 12, 2015.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the age, origin and possible maker of these unmarked sterling brooch pins?

The center stone in the one piece appears to be turquoise(?) with some type of gilt or gold mix. The seal appears to have genuine old-cut ruby and sapphire at the neck and eye.

STERLING BROOCHES 001-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 002-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 003-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 004-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 005-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 006-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 007-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 008-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 009-001.JPG STERLING BROOCHES 010-001.JPG

2. 'Nuff_Said

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Nuff,
    I have a nagging doubt about the seal having real stones. If they were real I would expect them to be prong set instead of glued in. Also they would have an open setting in the back to let the light reflect in. Goodness knows I am not a jewelery expert and you should wait for the mavens to chime in. I really like the turquoise pin.
    greg

4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Good morning, 'Nuff.
    How are those stones mounted in the seal pin? I cannot see any large prongs - (but I'm not wearing my glasses) - maybe they are 'graver set', which requires some skill.

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  5. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Morning Greg .... OK - I'm not the only person that doesn't see prongs.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

i think they're great and I think I've seen the seal before but alas, nothing to offer.

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

On the bar pin my opinion would be the Edwardian era, very nice items!

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The large blue looks like glass to me, possibly with an aventurine inclusion.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree on the blue stone, art glass. Also on the seal, those look like rhinestones. If you polish him use a silver cleaning cloth, do not get the rhinestones wet!

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

On the bar pin, looks like art glass to me too, the construction reminds me of some mid 20th century pieces that were coming out of Mexico - Tono Cecilia is a name that comes to mind, but could certainly have been made elsewhere and/or earlier, or perhaps even an artisan piece.

The seal is very mid 20th century, surprised it wasn't marked as sterling, and believe it's unlikely the stones are anything other than rhinestones...

A 'one of a kind' piece sold recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201290200078?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=201290200078&_rdc=1

Cold-painted blue: https://www.etsy.com/listing/225577631/cute-blue-seal-novelty-brooch-60s-70s?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=seal brooch&ref=sr_gallery_1

Cold-painted black, with rhinestone ball, described as marked 'BM': http://www.ebay.com/itm/32134865250...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=321348652501&_rdc=1

Hobe variant: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171785725724?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=171785725724&_rdc=1

~Cheryl

11. 'Nuff_Said

You folks are awesome! Thank you so much everyone for your time, replies, links and thoughts.

12. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The pin:
    If art glass, possibly Czech/Bohemian?
    There's something nouveau about it...

KingofThings likes this.
  13. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

Foiled glass is usually early Gablonz (Czech/Bohemian). I have the book Buttons, Baubles and Beads The Heritage of Bohemia by Jargstorf (great book if you love jewelry). I'll thumb through later to see if I can spot anything for you.

Can you do a really good shot of that turquoise blue (glass?) stone?

14. 'Nuff_Said

Thank you!

I'll try to snap some close-ups a bit later. I have a whole mess of other antique and vintage jewelry that perhaps you all could help me with? I'll post some images later in the day when I get time.

Thanks again.

15. 'Nuff_Said

Ok, I took some quick shots. Have another meeting coming up shortly so will get you all those close-ups in a bit. Below is just a small fraction of what I have (believe there's roughly 100 lbs. of this stuff).

Anything good?

BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 004-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 005-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 006-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 007-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 008-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 009-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 010-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 011-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 012-001.JPG BOOKPLATE AND JOOLS 013-001.JPG

16. 'Nuff_Said

The sterling "R" pin at left I *think* is Georg Jensen(?)

KingofThings likes this.
  17. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

Whoa!! Nice haul! For sure some good stuff in there.

Looks like a seed pearl bar pin. Probably sterling? Maybe later you can separate it into like groups for us to look at (pins, rings, earrings)?

Any buttons hiding in there? LOL

KingofThings likes this.
  18. 'Nuff_Said

Thank you! If I get time later today I'll do as suggested. The bar pin is sterling, but unmarked.

Maybe (buttons), I'll be sure to lookout for some.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the bar pin with the red , blue and white stones is really special......

mymysharona43 and KingofThings like this.
  20. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

yes it looks nice
    Curious about that silver ring possibly carnelian oblong stone or...setting looks really pretty
    Looks like a lot of goods, hold out for more answers. Looks like lots of nice pieces could bring some $$ listed in lots or....the best seperate
    Not sure if it would help but I always use a light back ground for most jewelry
    Love those bug earrings!

Draft saved Draft deleted