Featured Steven and Williams - Please Confirm

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 5, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Ever since our discussion of Victorian applied flower glass vases from Stourbridge, England, as well as other countries, I have been searching for them. A reseller, who I am friends with, allowed me to purchase several things from a massive accumulation of pieces that he kept from years running and going to estate sales, etc. He is now moving. He called these two handled vases/pitchers that are 7 inches tall - Stevens and Williams. They are cased glass with a pink swirled glass exterior and a white interior. They have clear glass handles with a kind of thorny leafy motif. The pontil scars are very rough. I'm sure hoping that they are as advertised. Any comments gratefully appreciated.

IMG_9404.jpg IMG_9405.jpg IMG_9406.jpg IMG_9407.jpg IMG_9408.jpg IMG_9409.jpg IMG_9410.jpg IMG_9412.jpg

lovewrens, judy, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

whatever they are, they're pretty nice!

smallaxe, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I used to deal with quite a lot of this type of glass 20 years ago when the US market was strong. While they are in the style of S&W imo they are not quite right, there is something about the rims and handles which don't seem to work for S&W. If you look at some S&W pieces at noted dealers you should be able to see what I mean. Also if it is a Verre de Soie piece the bases of the S&W examples are usually of a very high quality of finish.

They are still nice pieces though and they are probably fairly contemporary to S&W and attempting to copy the Verre de Soie form.

judy and TraceyB like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd think Bohemian rather than S&W. Might be Welz. Stick it on the Bohemian Glass FAcebook page, see what they think.

TraceyB, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

I would have bought them anyway. They are just kind of thing that I like. Thank you.

TraceyB likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Drat! I paid a Steven and Williams price. Oh well. His collection was huge, and from every aspect of collecting world, so I expect he was told this and believed it. He had rooms full of paintings, rugs, ceramics, glass, bronze, photographs, jewelry, silver, lamps, etc. He can't possibly be an expert on everything. Thanks for the Verre de Soie information. I will do some research on that form. Most appreciated.

TraceyB likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for weighing in. I'll post it there and tell you what I find out. I'm seeing this labelled Pompeian swirl glass. I'll go a hunting.

TraceyB likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

If they were genuine S&W verre de soie they would be North of $1000 each, hopefully you didn't pay that much!

TraceyB and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    TraceyB and Danijela Pope like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

OMG No. He is a friend and priced his stuff accordingly. He knew I wanted some Stevens and Williams, so he charged me much more for these pieces and a verified Hawkes than the other things.

TraceyB likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

TraceyB likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

To close the loop, I asked Will Farmer, of Fieldings Auctioneers and he confirmed continental

"So, I’ve had a look at the images and I’m sorry to say but these are also continental. They are most likely Harrach or similar utilising an air trap technique which was also used here in the UK. The form however with that base and frill neck combined with the rustic form handle and rough struck pontil indicate a continental example.

They are still very pretty however and collectable but sadly not S&W."

TraceyB, judy, smallaxe and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

HAH! ;)

Will is excellent on glass.

TraceyB, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

I thought you were right, but I am always gathering information and Will is very lovely and willing to help.

TraceyB and judy like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Hey, I love the fact that A Real Expert like Will agreed. ;)

TraceyB, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

You are a real expert in my eyes. :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss: At least far more expert than I am, but that's not saying much!

TraceyB, judy and Ownedbybear like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

They finally approved me on the Bohemian Glass Facebook page and they confirmed:

"Yes, I would concur with the origin being Bohemian. Circa.1890-1915."

TraceyB, judy and i need help like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

20. KikoBlueEyes

They think they might have a maker - Harrach - They are looking for a blue one.

Draft saved Draft deleted