Featured striking windrush era? oil

Discussion in 'Art' started by charlie cheswick, Jul 17, 2023.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi folks

this was something i won at local auction yesterday along with an large antique pastel portrait

https://www.easyliveauction.com/cat...bles-vintage-and-general-auction-incl-lot-29/

i think its the best painting I've ever bought

very striking and emotive

the first thought when i saw it was windrush generation era ?

i only had the above link pic to go on, but happily it does look to have some good age to it, 1950s ?

might be an interesting piece of social history

any thoughts or info appreciated

Aviary Photo_133340883985246616.jpg Aviary Photo_133340885060953267.jpg Aviary Photo_133340885806168374.jpg Aviary Photo_133340886917421368.jpg wind5.JPG wind10.JPG wind11.JPG wind12.JPG wind13.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is gorgeous, charlie, very expressive.
    Could be, but she could also be of Asian origin. Difficult to say.

3. charlie cheswick

Thanks Aj, I thought the collar of the jacket looked a bit Asian as well

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Her face could be Asian as well. You can find her type in Indonesia, but also in mainland SE Asia. Malaysia and Brunei used to be British.

5. charlie cheswick

Think it would be more interesting if it was a windrush generation portrait

6. Any Jewelry

It would, but we'll probably never know.

The flowers could be embroidered in gold, which is more Asian.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

She is a beauty, Ches

Go to page 14 in this document->

That mark was used in 1963-1964

8. charlie cheswick

Very helpful thanks mate !

sabre123 likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If I read this correctly, that mark was found on a Freud painting from 1963-4 but could have been introduced sometime before.

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 11.07.22 AM.png

10. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

For anyone who is interested, but doesn't want to click the link. Cover page of PDF:

British canvas, stretcher and panel suppliers’ marks. Part 9, George Rowney & Co

This guide surveys suppliers’ marks on the reverse of picture supports. This part is devoted to the business founded by George Rowney, trading in more than one partnership before becoming George Rowney & Co. Rowney’s is one of very few artists’ supply businesses with origins in the 18th century still trading today, as Daler-Rowney, albeit no longer in family hands. The business has been a significant supplier of canvases and panels from the 1810s. For further information, see British artists' suppliers, 1650-1950 - R on this website. Measurements of marks, given where known, are approximate and may vary according to the stretching or later conservation treatment of a canvas or the trimming of a label. Links are given to institutional websites where dimensions of works can be found.

Dates for partnerships and addresses are usually accurate to within a year. Square brackets are used to indicate indistinct or missing lettering in transcripts, with readings sometimes based on other examples. Compiled by Jacob Simon, September 2017, updated February 2020, and based on the pioneering work of Cathy Proudlove and the suppliers’ database created by Jacob Simon. With thanks to Dr Joyce Townsend for providing information on paintings in Tate, to Nicola Costaras at the Victoria and Albert Museum and to John Payne, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne.

Excerpt on page 14:

artists_materials_9_Rowney.png

11. charlie cheswick

It's a tricky one aj, as you say it's not obvious and I see what your saying more so now

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Either way, she looks like a little girl who is new to a strange world, and hasn't yet decided what to think of that world.

13. charlie cheswick

Absolutely nailed it :)

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You can always ask when the company introduced "K Quality" canvases but I think early 1960s about right for hair do, sheer scarf, pink coat, daisies...

https://www.daler-rowney.com/contact-us

Debora

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  15. charlie cheswick

I guess the written price could have been added at any time from then till now

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Perhaps fanciful on my part but... Based on the spacing of the buttons, that looks, to my eye, like a late 1950s maternity swing jacket.

Debora

vogue-7427-smock-env_360x.jpg

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  19. charlie cheswick

Any Jewelry and Debora like this.
  20. charlie cheswick

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted