Substantial Modernist Pottery Floor Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Dec 19, 2018.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

This is a very large Mid century Modern floor vase measuring approximately 16" in height with a diameter of 8.75". I have tried so many different combinations of the inscribed name. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. laura9797

Shoot!!! Should say umbrella stand.....my mind is tired!!!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

It's a hefty pot, isn't it. Glazed terracotta, certainly mid century, thrown by a good potter, with a strong, distinctive motif. I initially thought West German but the signature doesn't look right. Actually the sort of folksy fantasy motifs look Scandinavian-ish? You will have to try to nail the signature or as much of it as you can. Rub a bit of charcoal around it and see if it brings up the letters better. Then you stand a much better chance of tracking it down.

judy likes this.
  5. laura9797

Yes the piece is certainly very heavy - I attributed it to a continental artist and will continue to research. I tried to do a rubbing with crayon and paper but that didn't work to well. I will try to remember to take some nutmeg tomorrow with me to see if that helps bring it out. This has come from a rather large collection of W. German pottery and Italian. Would love to be able to at least attribute it with a name. Thank you for the suggestions!

judy and i need help like this.
  6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I played with the photograph of the signature, I still can't help but maybe someone will be able to decipher it.

Pottery mark3 (2).jpg Pottery mark3.jpg

judy and i need help like this.
  7. laura9797

Thank you Mill Cove!

judy likes this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Pergram.

I'm not saying that helps, it's just what I see.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted