THOUGHTS ON INTERESTING PAINTING ON BLACK (VELVET?) CANVAS & SIGNED USS MIDWAY '41?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 16, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thridt store today & liked it from a distance, before I looked it over & saw the artist's name + USS MIDWAY CUA '41 on the back!
    I first thought it was oil on board, but it is a black canvas (I thought velvet, but I don't think so, it doesn't have that feel - unless age changed it)
    I looked up the name but didn't see anything under Julius Phillips, artist - has anyone heard of him?
    What does CUA stand for?
    Any thoughts on the art itself and/or if it has any value; both as art alone and as "trench art" type art (Is this trench art?)?
    Thanks all; I appreciate your thoughts.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING USS MIDWAY PAINTING 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING USS MIDWAY PAINTING 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING USS MIDWAY PAINTING 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING USS MIDWAY PAINTING 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING USS MIDWAY PAINTING 5AA.jpg

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks like the painting used on the show "Good Times" . I think its fantastic!

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

If it's on velvet - where would the artist get that on a ship? And if he brought it with him to paint on his down time, why would he bring velvet canvas instead of reg canvas to paint on? Was it popular back then?
    Thanks!

judy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Back then" - Note that the 41 is not a date, but part of the ship's name. Wenna's link is a very detailed description of the CVA 41. Wasn't even launched until 1945. Much more likely to be Vietnam era than WWII. Subject matter of the picture too.

i need help and judy like this.
  6. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I know that the C stands for Carrier and the A stands for Attack.

i need help and judy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A Vietnam era souvenir, I would think.

Debra

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Are you sure that an Elvis painting is not underneath that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted