Featured Thrift Find Today - Signed Photos by Pres Truman & Clarence Darrow

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 30, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 2 signed photos at a thrift store today - they came in a box with 2 paintings from same donator - and it looks like Clarence Darrow made his photo to the paintings' artist!

I found a Harry Gottlieb whose paintings were for sale & he also signed in block print but the H. & the G don't look like mine - is this the same artist who painted mine?

I also was wondering - the signature on the Darrow has great provenance with the painting right?!

And the Pres Truman is real, right? (He must have been in a joking mood - only one I've seen that he signed vertical!)

Hope you enjoy these as much as I did when I realized who the photos were (I thought Darrow was a signed Charlton Heston at first! lol) - it was a very cool thrift store hunting day!
    Thanks!

PHOTOGRAPH HARRY TRUMAN PRESIDENT SIGNED PHOTOGRAPH 1AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH HARRY TRUMAN PRESIDENT SIGNED PHOTOGRAPH 2AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH CLARENCE DAROW SIGNED PHOTOGRAPH 1AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH CLARENCE DAROW SIGNED PHOTOGRAPH 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING H GOTTLIEB LANDSCAPE 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING H GOTTLIEB LANDSCAPE 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING H GOTTLIEB LANDSCAPE 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING H GOTTLIEB LANDSCAPE YELLOW FRAME 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING H GOTTLIEB LANDSCAPE YELLOW FRAME 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING H GOTTLIEB LANDSCAPE YELLOW FRAME 3AA.JPG

bercrystal, smallaxe and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

GREAT PHOTO FIND! :happy:

Roaring20s likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

2 things
    It was only $40 for all four!
    I didn't realize the artist was same person Clarence Darrow wrote photo to till I was photographing them to post here!
    It was a very cool find!
    PS - thanks antidem!

Figtree3, judy and antidiem like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Clarence Darrow and an artist named Harold Gottlieb could have crossed paths at the Maverick Artist Colony.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.10.18 PM.png

bercrystal and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's unlikely the Truman autograph is genuine. Presidents, like actors, rarely sign for themselves.

Debora

Unknown.png

6. journeymagazine

How did you find this Debora?! You are amazing!
    PS - is my H. Gottlieb the artist that comes up when you Google his name?
    PSS - Clarence Darrow signature is worth more than Truman's; that was a surprise!
    Thank you!

bercrystal likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

Are my paintings by Harry Gottlieb - America's first social realist artist?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dunno. The WPA works have a different signature. But, I suppose... if he were an older man... in ill health.... Anything on the back? (My parrot question.) Can you easily deframe them to see if an answer lies within?

Debora

9. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Harry Gottlieb the painter died in 1993 in NYC. On the other hand, there are currently at least four Harold gottliebs currently living in Florida. Maybe the one who is age 101 is recently deceased? Given you found them as a group in Florida, the completely different signature, the subject matter and the relative quality of work, there is little reason to think this could have been by the artist Harry Gottlieb.

Much more likely from the estate of a weekend painter Harold Gottlieb who died in Florida recently and these are from the estate cleanout. The signed photos are fine, though as Debora said probably Truman’s secretary signed that one unless he was a close friend.

judy and antidiem like this.
  10. journeymagazine

Thanks - even I didn't think the paintings were spectacular!
    Do you think the Harry Gottlieb Darrow signed photo for & spent time at the artist colony was the famous Gottlieb? That would increase its value!

judy likes this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The 2 paintings are not done by a premiere artist.
    They are cute and whimsical, and not done in the same period of time, these appear to have been painted in the 1970s.

judy likes this.
  12. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

Does anyone think the Harold Gottlieb at the maverick artist colony that Debora found at the same time as Darrow was there was the 1st social realism artist Gottlieb?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. journeymagazine

Will do - thank you Debora.
    Happy New Year!

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Igualmente.

Debora

17. journeymagazine

Debora do you have a link to this? (Thank you!)

18. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Did you hear back from sragowfineart?

19. journeymagazine

No - and sent a 2nd saying maybe 1st was missed because of holidays

Draft saved Draft deleted