Featured Thrift store art....

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Dec 26, 2022.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

These are all pieces I have bought at the thrift stores this year. Most are unresearched. Some may be purely decorative in nature but I don't think any are factory art. Mostly bought because they had some appeal to me and were dirt cheap. I don't think I paid more than $12.00 for any of them. Some were as cheap as $1.00. Most were in the $4.00 - $6.00 range. Rather than posting exact size, I will use a scale using largest overall dimension. Very small = under 12", Small = 12"-19", Medium = 20"-29", Large 30"- 42", Very large = Over 42" Open to comments of any nature. Good, bad, or ugly? Help in identification is appreciated. Photos were taken quickly where stored so not the best quality images.

Medium sized watercolor signed D. B. Slavich.
    thriftptg1.JPG
    thriftptg1a.JPG

Medium watercolor signed Pamela Scott (signed on back as well as front).
    thriftptg2.JPG
    thriftptg2a.JPG

Medium lithograph by listed artist Alex F. Yaworski. Signed and dedicated.
    thriftptg3.JPG
    thriftptg3a.JPG

Large watercolor by Fred Ewoldt. Was able to attribute but not a lot of information about the artist.
    thriftptg4.JPG
    thriftptg4a.JPG

Medium watercolor by Barbara Simmons Feinstein. Believe she is a local Central IL artist.
    thriftptg5.JPG
    thriftptg5a.JPG

I have more to post in subsequent posts.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  2. verybrad

Medium pastel by Helen Standard Tennent. New Mexico artist.
    thriftptg6.JPG
    thriftptg6a.JPG

Large ltd. edition etching signed, Fennell.
    thriftptg7.JPG
    thriftptg7a.JPG

Large artist's proof etching signed, Smartt (?) Bought together with the previous etching.
    thriftptg8.JPG
    thriftptg8a.JPG

Small oil painting, initialed thriftptg9.JPG L.R.

Will post more when I get a chance.

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

The watercolor by Barbara Simmons Feinstein is my favorite of this group. The Fred Ewoldt is interesting.

verybrad likes this.
  4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

The one signed Fennell, I think it is a lithograph. I believe it is by Richard Fennell. He had a retrospective in 2017. There is a nice brochure you can find with a search.

verybrad likes this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I like the Fennell's & the NM piece-very nice.

verybrad likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

4th one is my favorite!

verybrad likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I would hang all of these in my house. You have a good eye! My favorite is #1 which kind of reminds me of your garden photos. And #3 and # 5.

verybrad likes this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I like the Feinstein but can’t tell what’s atop the ridge?

ola402 likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

You can click on the image to enlarge slightly. It looks like a row of black trees on the ridge with a horizontal tan cloud over it. To my eyes anyway. At first, I thought it was writing until I enlarged it.

J Dagger and verybrad like this.
  10. Lithographer

Fred Ewoldt obit.

This is a possibility.

The world has lost a most unique man. A true intellectual, Fred was born in Crawsfordsville, Indiana, educated at DePauw University, and taught English and Humanities for 30 years at Kent Meridian High School. So many talents; Fred was an artist, writer and philosopher. An analyzer of life, he was a complicated man but a mentor to many. He loved good books, was a gourmet cook, a lover of music, an opinionated liberal and an avid golfer. He loved and was loved. So very sad to see him go. Relief at last Fred. If desired memorials may be given in Fred's name to Union Gospel Mission, 3800 S. Othello, Seattle, WA 98118. (Obit dated 12/14/2000

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    Figtree3 and verybrad like this.
  11. Lithographer

If someone has a newspaper.com account, there is an article about Fred Ewoldt when he was at Crawfordsville high school. It looks like he is working on an art project.

verybrad likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

More about Fred.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 2.07.41 PM.png

verybrad likes this.
  13. verybrad

It is a hedgerow in the Feinstein.

I think I had found the art gallery info about Ewoldt. Think I found where he taught art in some other Indiana city. I did not find the obituary. Found one other painting by him when I first bought it.

J Dagger likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Surprising little about him. Fredric Charles according to DePauw.

Debora

verybrad likes this.
  15. verybrad

Here's some more.....

I picked up this vintage cheapo religious print due to the fact that it shows indigenous people in the foreground. Thought that an unusual depiction. Besides that, it was only $1.00.
    thriftptg13.JPG

This large old oil on canvas landscape is unsigned.
    thriftptg14.JPG

I bought this small print for the carved wood/gilt frame.
    thriftptg15.JPG

I passed on this medium sized pastel at first. After seeing it at the thrift for a few weeks and after a price reduction, I broke down and bought it. Signed H. D. Stewart.
    thriftptg16.JPG
    thriftptg16a.JPG

This is a large drawing that appears to be charcoal and white pastel. Signed, Lewis.
    thriftptg17.JPG
    thriftptg17a.JPG

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That religious print is indeed a little "different" so I googled it and found that someone had Pinned it and called it Our Lady of the Snows. I was thinking Our Lady of the Arctic Tundra. I hope it's summer there, the people don't seem well dressed for winter.

verybrad and komokwa like this.
  17. Lithographer

I would have grabbed up that carved frame too. Figure study looks like a student exercise. The wrist on the right arm has some issues, better than I could do for sure.

18. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Re 'Our Lady of Snow'-wouldn't be surprised if that image had been hung at some of the northern govt' reservation schools.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Me either. It's pretty "cool".

verybrad likes this.
  20. verybrad

Here are a few more....

This large Idaho pastel is signed H. G. Pugh.

thriftptg18.JPG thriftptg18a.JPG

This is a medium religious lithograph. I bought it after it sitting awhile and going to half price. The print quality is excellent. There is some slight waviness that needs to be taken care of.
    thriftptg19.JPG

This is a large guoache with a tribal subject matter. It is signed somewhat illegibly but I was able to attribute it to listed artist when I first bought it. I can no longer find that information. Any help?
    thriftptg20.JPG
    thhriftptg20a.JPG

This is a very large acrylic semi-abstract landscape. Have not deciphered the signature.
    thriftptg21.JPG
    thriftptg21a.JPG

Lavrentii, Figtree3 and quirkygirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted