Trinket Box - Junk or Unique?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by JohnG, Oct 19, 2015.

1. JohnG

JohnG New Member

Thanks for taking a moment to view this thread! I recently started thrift store treasure hunting as a hobby and possible extra income. I came across what seems like a unique trinket box in some ways, but it also has a plastic felt(?) liner, which makes me think that it's not likely anything special. I hope this forum is the correct place to post this and appreciate any feedback you're willing to give. Thanks again! 20151019_105200.jpg 20151019_105218.jpg 20151019_105236.jpg 20151019_105303.jpg 20151019_105337.jpg 20151019_105412.jpg 20151019_105441.jpg 20151019_105456.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think it's pretty and would be nice for small pieces of jewelry. But I don't have any information about it...

JohnG likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Pretty!
    There are experts here who will guide you. I'm not one, but they usually want to know about materials. Is it metal? Does a magnet stick to it? How much does it weigh? The paint... does it appear painted on, or inlaid? Stuff like that. Good luck!

JohnG likes this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's an attractive box, but I think anything with this type of flocked plastic insert is likely to be pretty new.

JohnG likes this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

It certainly is a pretty little box. Although it is a "minor" detail (in the greater scheme of things) on the box, I really like the pattern/finish on the bottom (underside) of the box.

JohnG likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's not old, but it's pretty. Most of these are Chinese-made, and I've only seen them in the last decade give or take a smidge. The enamel style is newish. I've found a few signed pieces like this, but most are just made for pretty.

JohnG likes this.
  7. JohnG

JohnG New Member

Glad you like it:)

8. JohnG

JohnG New Member

Forgive my greenness, I'm quickly realizing details are everything when trying to do this. I don't (Yet) have a scale small enough to weigh small items. My best guess is 2 pounds. It's metal and non magnetic. The color seems to be from whatever type of material is laid over the box. Pat mentioned flocked plastic, which is the best I have to go on at this point. I had no idea before:) Thanks for your comments!

9. JohnG

JohnG New Member

Thanks for your comment. The bottom also caught my attention. The underside of the top, which seems to be hand cut, also makes it seem a little better than average to me. The plastic liner is the piece that just doesn't add up:(

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. JohnG

JohnG New Member

Thanks for the information! Trying to find something comparable without the proper terminology to describe it was getting me nowhere fast. Wish is was something better than it is, but a good experience in terms of the feedback on here. Gained a little more knowledge to add to the bucket today:) Thanks again!

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looks to me like stamped sheet steel. Looks like a box that a chocolate assortment might come in. What exactly came in it I can't tell but it does look like fancy product packaging because of the materials and finishes used-expendible more or less. All IMHO.

JohnG likes this.
  12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The lid anyways is cast white metal

JohnG likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got lots of these. Very pretty, but very modern.

14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Do you know where they come from?

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Most that I've had were with small Made in China stick on labels.

JohnG likes this.
  16. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

That scraped pattern on the underside of the top is something you also see a lot in lesser quality (ie. costume) jewelry that's on the newer side.

JohnG likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted