Featured Turkish Wedding Mirror - Keep or Scrap?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Dec 30, 2021.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good Evening All,

I visited the store that had the religious chalice, and wouldn't you know it another little bit of silver popped up on the shelves. This one isn't quite as impressive, but for $3 I was happy to find it. Now, question one: can anyone else see the sneaky mark? Question two, do you think this little fella is worth keeping or worth scrapping? I feel like it's going to have a pretty good amount of silver just based on the thickness of the edges, what do you think?

IMG_2443.jpg IMG_2445.jpg IMG_2446.jpg IMG_2447.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I see the "sneaky" = a 1000? or an 800? plus a word I'm still working on in an arch above the zeros. Then something more to the left of those.

bercrystal, judy, dude and 2 others like this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those sell handily, so I'd keep it unless damaged somehow.

bercrystal, judy and dude like this.
  5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Pretty piece. I'm wondering what you experts think about these pieces in general as investment silver. Looks like many weigh at least 250 grams. I imagine the glass can't weigh that much (maybe I'm underestimating it, though), so the 90% silver content should be easily worth over $100. Then why are so many online for $40-60? Are there a lot of fakes out there? What about reliability of the 900 mark around the world?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    judy likes this.
  6. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Silver weight not as much as you think as it is very thin ( probably less than an ounce )

dude, SeaGoat and judy like this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I agree, usually the amount of silver is low, however the edges of this feel pretty solid. My prediction (which could be totally off) is the silver on this piece will be between 2-3 ounces. This supports @dude 's observation of price in the market as well as the reality that a large amount of the weight is typically tied up in the mirror and/or non silver weight inside the piece. For reference, the piece weighs 5.8 ounces as is.

dude likes this.
  8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

There are definitely fakes out there, but in my experience having a makers name that appears on many other similar pieces is a good sign, as this one does.

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted