Two books from Cane Hill Asylum

Discussion in 'Books' started by Murdrum, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Murdrum

Murdrum New Member

This is perhaps a little too modern and mundane for this forum, but, I reckoned it may be interesting as these are perhaps two of the only things left from the rather obscure Hospital. The first book was taken from the library and stamped with the address and what little remains of the borrow sheet, the second was taken from a patient's room. I do have photographs somewhere, but where is an entirely different ball game.

I'm curious if anything else survived the demolition and fire in 2010.
    DSC_2452_20200728172204745.jpg DSC_2453_20200728172218714.jpg

Attached Files:

Ex Libris and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I just read brief reviews of both. I've been reading the Maisie Dobbs mystery series lately. The book by W. F. Morris, Pagan, has some similar themes, but was written back in the 1930s, while the Maisie Dobbs books were written in the 21st century. Interesting... probably a very different writing style, but some similarities. Maybe I'll read the Morris book someday.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Interesting. I wonder if collectors of morbid novelties would be the target niche for this sort of thing. A lot of the big institutions here in the U.S. have either already been demoed or are in a state of incredible neglect and will soon be gone. I watch some of the urban explorer content on YouTube and they come across lots of stuff like this. I personally have a stoneware footwarmer from a sanitorium which I got from an auction that I think is kind of neat.

Welcome to the forums!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very poignant. Had a librarian obviously. The Gouge book was checked out by the same hand over a period of time. A bit early for David Bowie's brother who was a patient there in the 1970s.

Debora

220px-MWSTWUS2.jpg

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Typo. That's Goudge, of course.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Murdrum

Murdrum New Member

I was wondering that too. Not that I'd be able to sell anything in my collection on. I am personally a collector of morbid novelties and I got this when exploring Cane Hill a few months or so before it was demolished. I've been looking for other pieces from notorious asylums to build up my collection. And Thank you kindly.

Joe2007 likes this.
  7. Murdrum

Murdrum New Member

Huh, the fact it was checked out by the same librarian is interesting and something I didn't notice. Cane Hill is mainly remembered for Bowie's brother, as well as relatieves of Charlie Chaplin, and Micheal Caine.

Draft saved Draft deleted