Featured Two tiny horses!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, Dec 7, 2022.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Obviously I couldn’t resist these!
    I like them as the horses are very fine boned and delicate. The sitting one is tiny, abou 1.5” tall and the other is around 3.5” tall. Google lens has tried very hard but failed to find a match and the mod (model?) number on the standing one hasn’t yielded anything helpful So I’m clueless as to age or origin.
    They appear old but WDIK so any help gratefully received. Thankyou :)
    EBCF4D10-98B3-4225-BCDC-645F9B29CB6D.jpeg 5801B49C-5F53-426D-A5F0-7C38FF878480.jpeg 4B299EF0-2953-4209-83C2-8D477A1EC674.jpeg 05A72594-E240-46E3-BEAC-E42F2F604D64.jpeg 867AF66C-D951-4C3A-99C3-4317FBC4DE2D.jpeg F4062FBD-F3A3-409F-92CD-E86A7E9D009A.jpeg CC1B013F-61B6-4AF5-87E5-5DC94F809BB9.jpeg

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are gorgeous, K!:woot::woot::happy:

pearlsnblume, judy and KSW like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Horses do make good subjects!

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

(Enjoying fond memories of the Beswick foal I purchased in the UK during the summer of 1972. :))

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’m wondering if the standing one is Staffordshire? They seem to be keen on propping them up with a central stand.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

British, with those sevens, hm?

They certainly predate horse photography with that movement.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s trotting,even if a slightly stylised trot. They trot with the legs in diagonal pairs so L hind and R front move forwards together then R hind and left front. This is slightly off as the diagonal pair of legs should be in the same flight whereas this one’s RH is in the floor but the LF hadn’t landed yet.
    Nothing more than the damage modern dressage trends are doing to horses true gaits but that’s a soapbox for another day!

Any Jewelry, judy and bercrystal like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

I should have known you'd be the technical expert. ;)

So in that case, it might be after horse movement was documented using photography? Or was older dressage as slowed down as modern?

judy, KSW and bercrystal like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think there is a degree of understanding by the maker as to how a horse moves here and a degree of artistic license to make a balanced piece of work.
    It’s not so much about speed as the effect of the training on the correct movement of the horse.
    I’ll get on my soapbox a bit here about what modern dressage with incorrect training can do to ruin horses natural paces.
    This is how a horse should trot. Diagonal pairs with front and hind leg at the same angle.
    24BDA201-2641-430F-B48A-6BB5B47E676C.png

Correct dressage (Slightly over bent in neck but that’s another issue)
    Diagonal pair pretty much parallel.
    DC9AAEA0-A94A-448A-9BBB-8C04D16FE738.jpeg

Incorrect training. Lines aren’t parallel. Front legs are flung too far out in front and hind leg (the ‘engine’) is left behind which is very detrimental to the horses soundness and welfare. I could go on for hours but I won’t bore you any more than I already have!

6FA923A9-E59D-4325-A0EA-B9FA867890BB.jpeg Hmm, I think this thread has gone well off piste!

11. Any Jewelry

Not any more than usual. Besides, it is an interesting subject.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  12. Ownedbybear

We're skiing? ;)

Kate, if I ever introduce you to my bestie, I won't get a word in. She's not at your level, but she's a dressage nut. Had a bay mare with the loveliest head, like one of those Greek statues. Current one is a Knabstrupper. Or large muddy cow, as she refers to her. Actually, you'd bond with my cousin too. Rescues heavy horses and rides the things.

You should hear bestie rant about Charlotte D being allowed to compete at all levels. ;)

13. Any Jewelry

Wonderful. I love heavy horses.:happy:

14. Ownedbybear

Many years ago, I worked near the Whitbread Brewery in the City. They kept dray horses, mostly greys. I'd take carrier bags of my windfall apples down for them some lunchtimes.

HUGE whiffling heads would happily munch and crunch the things from my flat paw. They'd head butt me with much enthusiasm and their breath could knock you sideways. You had to be rather wary of their enormous and gloriously frilled feet: the draymen would gently and affectionately smack them out of the way if they got too close to my toes. They would then sidle up to the draymen and carefully lean on them.

There was a segment at the time on the BBC about the great beasts going on holiday to the country. They'd release them into meadows and the damn things scampered with tails madly waving and then rolled, with their gargantuan silly hooves waving in the air. Hysterically funny: they looked like juggernaut kittens.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, vivid description.:happy:
    :hilarious:

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted