Featured UNIQUE BRACELET ID and INFO NEEDED

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Anubis75, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Anubis75

Anubis75 New Member

322496744_869649300896658_8947525098768042137_n.jpg 321513989_1206580840284699_3336228908074813043_n.jpg 320629338_1158720111435431_9048078720578030199_n.jpg 321331410_466185529050310_7450662488513926685_n.jpg I received this silver bracelet for Xmas and it's got me very intrigued. It says MADE IN PALESTINE and is stamped STERLING .... looks to be hand made ...weighs 55g

Any information is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2022
    Born2it, KSW, reader and 8 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The technique is cannetile. Probably a carnelian stone. Very nice.

@Any Jewelry

Born2it, KSW, reader and 8 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wonderful bracelet !!:happy:

reader, IvaPan and Anubis75 like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice!
    Welcome on board!:)

Anubis75, KSW, reader and 1 other person like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Anubis. Such a beautiful gift.
    It is a classic souvenir bracelet, made for pilgrims to the Holy Land. These were made in the early to mid-20th century.
    Yours is marked MADE IN PALESTINE which means it is pre-1949, when the country was still Palestine.
    The very detailed style is based on traditional Palestinian cuff bracelets, and the panels are reminiscent of the embroidered panels on Palestinian dresses. The pin closure with a nifty knob-and-dent to stop the pin from falling out, is also traditional.

As @Ownedbybear said, the technique with all those curled wires is called cannetille, it is related to filigree.
    These bracelets were often set with Bohemian glass cabochons, but yours looks to be set with carnelians. If you want to be sure, maybe ask a local jeweller to test them for you.
    Most carnelians in the Middle East are mined in Yemen. The Yemen carnelian is considered a stone of high spiritual value, it was the stone chosen by the prophet Muhammad for his signet ring.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lovely!

Born2it, IvaPan and Anubis75 like this.
  7. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Very nice bracelet!
    Any, it looks to me that the cabochons are evenly coloured, isn't it a sign of artificial material, e.g. glass? Of course, it is difficult to say only by pictures.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

In the second photo the stone appears to have air bubbles.

IvaPan likes this.
  9. komokwa

a fine jewelry maker will do his best to match the stones size and color where required ...

[​IMG]

Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Komo, with due respect but IMO the stones of your example still show some colour difference although it is evident that effort was made.
    Yes, to me it also looks like this but maybe it is because of the light. The topic starter can easily see with a magnifying glass if it is indeed the case. It can save her a visit to jeweller to make the test.

11. komokwa

I see no color difference or size difference in the dark blue teardrops....and the light blue ovals are almost identical.....

but yes.....I see your point...........do you see mine ? :)

Any Jewelry and IvaPan like this.
  12. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Sure I see it :) I make no conclusions, I just ask.

B.t.w. IMO a fine jewelry maker should't put a stamp "made in Palestine" with doubled last letters as if they had to stamp it twice and could not match the letters from the first attempt. But maybe I am wrong.

It is indeed a lovely piece, I like it very much.

Anubis75 likes this.
  13. Anubis75

Anubis75 New Member

I zoomed in on it using my phone just now ..I see no bubbles... they look more like reflections and sparkles to me. I made a video to hopefully show the details better.

14. komokwa

No, yer not wrong.....but.....

I have encountered my fair share of master artists....and excellent crafts persons who execute their items with care and precision ...........
    and then completely fail on the finishing touches....like signatures and stamps and the like...:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Any Jewelry, Anubis75 and IvaPan like this.
  15. komokwa

may I suggest ...red sparkle nail polish...to match the bracelet ...:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:

just kiddin around............... good video !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Could be...... So the advice of Any Jewelry is even more applicable.

KSW and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

when she speaks.....we all stop and listen !!:happy::happy::happy::kiss:

Any Jewelry and IvaPan like this.
  18. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Sure!
    B.t.w. I have a coupe of very similar looking stones to these ones and I cannot decide if they are glass or carnelian stone. They are combined with Med salmon corals (Any's judgement :)) No bubbles under magnification, they are of equal colour but one of them is more transparent than the other, which can be seen only if light is flashed at them from behind. They are not cabochons mount in metal settings, though.

KSW likes this.
  19. Anubis75

Anubis75 New Member

LOL I actually have some of them in sparkle red ...still wearing my xmas Grinch nails LOLOL at least some of them match the bracelet

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

While this maker(s) was a very skilled craftsperson(s), this jewellery is still souvenir jewellery. So made for people to have a memento of their trip or pilgrimage. It isn't fine jewellery as such. And as komo rightly says, even master jewellery makers can have sloppy marks.

These bracelets were made in small workshops, often by an entire family working together. The person who stamped the panels may not have been the same person who made the delicate cannetille. The main thing was that it was stamped, a legacy of an old legal requirement in Ottoman times.

The stones are colour matched, btw. As komo showed, that is often the case when selecting stones for jewellery.
    :shame::shy::kiss:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    komokwa, KSW, IvaPan and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted