Unsigned Iridescent Glass Bowl Vase - could this be Steuben?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Not Sure What This Is, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Not Sure What This Is

Not Sure What This Is Active Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have this glass bowl vase in a light green colour with iridescence. If you look closely at the glass it has a slight crackle to it. I was wondering if it might be unsigned Steuben, as I know that they used only labels on some pieces. Then again, it might be anything, I really don't know. It's a nice looking piece, though - I don't know if the way that the top edge is finished is any clue. It has a visible pontil mark on the underside. Measures about 7" in height and 8" in diameter. Any ideas? Iridescent-Bowl-Vase-.jpg Iridescent-Bowl-Vase-1.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice photos. Can the glassies see the pontil mark? I don't think this is Steuben, but I'm not an expert or even close. The real experts will need to see what they're dealing with.

3. Not Sure What This Is

Thanks Evelyb30 - I'll post photos now

4. Not Sure What This Is

Here are photos of the underside and pontil mark:

Iridescent-Bowl-Vase-2.jpg Iridescent-Bowl-Vase-3.jpg

Potteryplease likes this.
  5. evelyb30

Still waiting for a glassie. The pontil mark looks too rough for one of the fancier glass houses.

6. Not Sure What This Is

Good point

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Well, I am far from a Steuben expert so I could be very wrong, but I'm not seeing the quality I would expect. The decorative finish seems thin and kind of bland to me :( I hope I'm wrong.

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. Not Sure What This Is

Thanks Marie, I appreciate your input. Maybe this is Bohemian - as I mentioned, I'm stumped on this one. The reason why I thought maybe Steuben is because when I did a Google Images search, the only somewhat close matches were Steuben Verre de Soie. None, however, were exactly this shape and none had the same glass "drip" finish around the top rim. There were a number of matches, but here's the link to one that I picked because it also has a rough pontil mark: https://www.goantiques.com/steuben-verre-de-693352

9. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Not Steuben, unfortunately.

10. Verrefou

Verrefou Active Member

I agree. Not Steuben. Sorry I can't help witH A MAKER. No idea how my keyboard font just changed!

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the A...sits next to the Caps Lock .......do u type with 2 hands ?

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

OMG! I'm so glad someone else does that!!!!! I'm always hitting the cpas lock when I'm aiming for an "a" :D

13. evelyb30

My phone made me crazy last night, when I had to reset it. The idiots who created it put the emoji key in between the space bar and the At sign. Uhmmm no. No emojis in passwords.

Draft saved Draft deleted