Featured Unusual chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Christopher, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

I found these unusual tilting chairs and am wondering if anyone might have some insight on what the purpose of the tilting back was. I don't think they are meant to recline back because the pivot is in the middle. Thanks for the help. 20170809_202900.png 20170809_202815.png

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can think of a use for that............:wideyed:

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

They are "Teaching Chairs"..................they teach you that when you don't use a coat hanger, but just instead toss your jacket over the back of a chair it lands up in a puddle-muddle on the floor........................................the weight of the garment "rocks" the back on the pivot point and dumps the mistreated clothing..................:woot:

in truth, I have no idea, but I think I am thinking along the same lines Komokma is thinking..............:wideyed::cool:

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I have no clue....they look nice when upright!!! But can't offhand see how that bend/fold could help anyone! Love the wear on the arms, so it would appear they were used!!!:):):)

Edit: Unless someone stood BEHIND and gave a push backward on the top to help "scoot" someone else forward out of the chair?????:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

5. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was intended to make wiping down the chair easier, kind of like tilt in windows...

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

What you could do with the chairs, plus a totally silly story:

KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Tauriels

Tauriels Well-Known Member

I had one of these a few years ago, memory not serving me well but I think I remember someone said they saw these chairs in the waiting area outside dressing rooms at higher end department stores in the 40's? back east.... Or they had some medical use... :nurse::doctor::cat::wideyed: Mine was stamped. Are these?

KingofThings and judy like this.
  8. Arun Kumar

Arun Kumar New Member

Yes, its little wired when the back rest is tilted. No clue what kind of chair is this.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Early dentist chair????? Or hair salon chair???? Obviously I am guessing. Very unique. Would be a lot of fun in a pub after a few too many pints.

AJefferson and KingofThings like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was so they could stack them more easily?

11. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Its a visitor chair for those visitors you don't want to stay too long. As soon as they relax it boots them out :) :wideyed: :eek: :hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious:....slide on down the road...!!

AJefferson likes this.
  13. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I believe these were for theaters or concert halls and the was tilted to indicate these seats reserved. The short arms may have also accommodated a musician holding an instrument.

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Only 6 years....

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Danish designer Arne Vodder had a few chairs with swivel backrests, like the one pictured here. As far as know, it was so you could sit up straight while eating dinner and then later recline a bit while enjoying a cigar and your favorite beverage. vodder.jpg

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted