Featured Vintage "signed" Italian blown glass Christmas ornaments

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

(Three Italian, one USA.)

Well, not "signed" in your normal way...

orn2.jpg orn3.jpg

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Those are adorable.

Aquitaine, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

4. KingofThings

There was :( a great place in Bayonne, NJ.
    Holiday Trim-A-Tree I believe it was.
    They were a manufacturer and it seemed there wasn’t anything they didn’t make!
    What fun the after Christmas sale!
    The line was around the block!

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You could make a pilgrimage here:
    https://www.bronners.com/
    if you don't mind that they seem to be making a point of putting Christ back into Christmas.

6. KingofThings

Thanks!:)
    Why would that bother me?

7. KingofThings

Do they make anything?

Lucille.b, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lucille, I've seen many of these Italian ornaments identified as Soffieria De Carlini. I don't imagine that ALL of them are from this company, but at least some of them are.

Here's a bit of info about the company (from a vendor):
    img0 (37).jpg
    In 1947, the company "Soffieria De Carlini" was created, thanks to the inspiration of the originator, Mr. Enrico De Carlini. Today, after more than 50 years, the company "Soffieria De Carlini" has evolved and has fit to all the changes imposed by modern society, but it has been able to respect traditions and glass-working art,thus continuing to offer unique and original ornaments, created and made completely and exclusively in Italy. Our stock is received in October each year and I hope you enjoy the selections that have been made.

from
    :
    http://oldworldaccents.net/shop-by-brand/soffieria-de-carlini-ornaments.html

I have ONE ornament of this type, given to me more than 20 years ago. Personally, I don't care for it, but my kids - who also think it's rather ugly - absolutely insist that we hang it on the tree every year. It has become quite a joke.

Anyway, I think that THIS set is the one to look for:
    img0 (38).jpg

It looks like it sells for a pretty penny!

9. KingofThings

Wow!!!!
    I’d love that set too!
    I just today bought a; ‘The Beatles’ patch for my jacket. :)

10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

King, Bronner's claims to be the world's largest Christmas store. As far as I know, they don't actually MAKE anything, but they claim that:

Approximately 50% of the glass ornaments sold are Bronner's own designs, handcrafted by global artisans exclusively for Bronner's.

(from the website Bronwen mentioned above)

Lucille.b, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  11. KingofThings

Well I went and sniffed around and signed up. :)

Lucille.b, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  12. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I have been to Bronners, grew up about an hour away. Yes it is a very large store, and they have some unique and unusual ornaments for sure. last time I went , about 15 years ago, I bought a lot of stuff. Still have them around here someplace. They are almost too nice to use.
    The store is in Fankenmuth Michigan, a model of a German Village, famous for a chicken restaurant, Bronners and a German theme. Nice touristy pace to visit if you are visiting Michigan.

13. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Oooo, very cool ornaments:woot:

KingofThings and Lucille.b like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks all.

SBSVC, I did find one very similar credited to De Carlini -- but like you said, hard to confirm. I do personally like the "worm" or whatever you call it. The Harlequin figure has a replaced hook/cap. I think it slightly broke at an angle and former owner found a fix, amazing the rest is in perfect shape. Anyway not fooling with the cap, just going to leave as is. Would love to find a set of the Beatles, unlikely as that would be!

At first was thinking of getting some rubbing alcohol out and do a quick test to be sure it would not remove paint, and getting those names off of there. But now not so sure. I have to assume dating is correct, so kind of cool to know the exact date of production.

I have sold a few of these before so knew to grab the bag at the GW. There were a number of other ornaments in the bag, and they are from the same era, a few German, Czech and Poland, but simple designs and (already checked on Ebay) nothing valuable. Unsold at $5.99, that kind of thing. I may just see if selling these Italian ones makes sense (might keep the worm.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lucille, I would definitely leave the names/dates on those! Anyone who doesn't appreciate the "provenance" just doesn't deserve to have them!

16. Brian G

Brian G New Member

Hi are you selling these ? I just broke the harlequin one and it’s my mothers favorite

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@Brian G This thread is from 2017. To inquire about sales, please use private conversation.

Brian G and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted