Featured Warmink Clock - Worth Fixing?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 12, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I am completely out of my depth here, as I have read posts about clocks here but have never bought one. For some reason, this plain mantle clock interested me. It was sold as not working, but since there was no winding key, I'm not sure if they ever tested it.

In a cursory glance online at the store, I saw these were quality made Dutch clocks. The ones I saw online were far more elaborate, though. Its design follows the lines of some I saw with brass finials, brass feet and nice woods. Perhaps it is early or during the war production. It is 10 1/2 inch tall, 7 inches wide and 3 inches deep.

The question is whether it is worth having repaired or does it not little more value than the $55 I paid for it, and I should just leave it be as an attractive decorative item with a little cleanup of the wood.
    Please help me decide.

IMG_2928.jpg IMG_2938.jpg IMG_2957.JPG IMG_2935.jpg IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2955.JPG IMG_2936.jpg IMG_2939.jpg IMG_2942.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Pretty sure there are some clock people here....might want to wait for them to (bad pun coming) chime in......Looks like a 'key' to wind it shouldn't be too hard to come by, but as suggested, I'd wait for those 'in the know' to offer their opinions!!! Looks nice though!!! BTW, extensive searching came up with nothing like it.....maybe you had/have better luck!!!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I'm afraid to permanently damage it by trying to wind it. Who knows how long it has been sitting unwound.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

I couldn't find anything like it either. Thanks for checking.

Hi2022, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We had a Warmink clock here before. A quote from yours truly::playful:

"Warmink are (or were) clockmakers in Almelo, province of Overijssel in the east of the country. That is @@opoe 's part of the Netherlands, maybe he knows more about Warmink. The firm is called Wuba Warmink. I know they made clocks in the 1970s."
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/d...ck-what-town-image-on-face.24852/#post-333578

Unfortunately opoe hasn't been here for a long time.:(

Hi2022, Figtree3, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Of course, anything from the Netherlands draws your laser focus. :) Thanks finding that previous post. Looks like @opoe hasn't been here since 2017, so their research is lost. I always enjoy reading your posts, since I don't know anything about your country. They make me appreciate the breadth and depth of your country's achievements.

Hi2022 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

This is very helpful. Only the more elaborate ones are worth any money. I very much appreciate your tracking these down. All the ones I saw were elaborate and in the $150 - $250 range. Your discoveries point to not much depth in the market. Thank you.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

You're welcome, Kiko.:kiss:
    Opoe was from the same region as Warmink, which is why I tagged him. He never replied to the thread though, and may not have known anything about Warmink.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Last seen Aug 17, 2020

11. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Borrow a key and wind it. At some point someone will have to, just to see if it works. What good is a clock that only tells the correct time twice a day. Even if it works, it may not be worth having it serviced and refinished. It's a nice looking clock and may be worth the expense if you want to keep it.

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for the advice. I have an old house - 1911, and I like to decorate it with old things. I read about how to repair an old Warmink clock, and they suggested Silicone Spray amongst other things. The pendulum swings freely, so I could try and wind it.
    If I could find out if it is an eight day clock for example, I might wind it every once in a while, but I rely mainly on my apple watch and Iphone to tell the time. Any repair where I live would be expensive, so I have to really want it to work to make it worthwhile.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Too bad that he didn't hang around and share more from his locale. Thanks for remembering him and calling on him.

14. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks Davey. That's not too long ago. Maybe it will pop up on his email.

15. Any Jewelry

I use silicone spray for a lot of things, it works great without leaving a greasy film. You can get spray cans with those thin tube nozzles, so you can reach into little nooks and crannies.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

We think alike. I first discovered it with my camper. Was great for sliding windows, but now I use it for everything stuck. Thank you. :kiss: I wished it worked for ice cubes, though :D.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

I wanted to show my warmink table clock, but it is not warmink :joyful:

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KikoBlueEyes and Hi2022 like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

:):):bag: Show it anyway.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

okay, there it goes. it doesn't run so I was wondering if it was worth fixing it up 20211217_184316_copy_1344x907.jpg 20211217_184148_copy_907x1373.jpg 20211217_184217_copy_1423x907.jpg ]

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted