Featured Wasn't positive which Forum - Antique Discussion or Metalware....sooooo

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's a Printer's 'tray' for storing the little 'stamps' - I went through a phase of collecting them, I honestly can't remember HOW LONG AGO!!!! Significantly long ago....! Does anyone still collect any of these??? Most of the copper ones are on one side....the lead or just 'metal'....and miscellaneous are scattered.....but one of my faves is the little Dutch Cleanser one...printed separately......I really haven't seen many of ANY of them in a long time....has anyone else???

PRINT TRAY-1.jpg

FLIPT PRINT TRAY HORIZ-2.jpg

OLD D CLEANSER-2 COMBNEDpsd.jpg

Born2it, Boland, judy and 9 others like this.
  2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

I think they are called type cases too. I see a lot of them for sale on Etsy etc. I guess it dates me when I say I learned to set type using one in middle school shop class a gazillion years ago :)

judy, Lark, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but I've been known to use an ink pad on the smaller ones. They're cool. I'd bet there's someone out there doing letterpress who'd be happy to give them a home.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It IS something I really wouldn't mind selling, but it's been so many years...... the non copper ones were mostly (AS I remember!) were only a couple of dollars each, but the copper ones often were in the mid teens....again....as I remember!!! I think the trays, which were easily found for a time were usually around $10.00 to $12.00.....they were fun to collect at the time....kept me out of trouble!!! And only one or two have any sentimental value!:D:joyful:

Born2it, judy, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wow that is neat. Not sure the best way to sell it, but I think you would have interest in it. Much good luck.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have boxes full. A few I saved like Mobil flying horse since my Dad worked for Mobil. I have sold some on etsy but mostly letters. I was just looking at them the other day think I should get them out and try to sell them. most are going for just a few dollars to $10.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  7. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

MY printer's tray lived over my sewing machine, just like a painting. Had all my spools of thread -- very colorful.. :)

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I'd think at $10-$12 a tray you'd blow 'em out quick,if the print dies were included the first van that stopped would clean you out-but I'd sell (at least the older dies) separately.If they have iconic logos on them,like the aforementioned 'mobil flying horse',they might sell for a fair amount more than the trays.

Born2it and Aquitaine like this.
  9. bosko69

The rich bored folks who read 5-10 home decor magazines still love this kind of stuff.I used to collect Victorian brass & bronze sign letters of various shapes and sizes (.50-$5.00),folks still like the 'classier' shabby chic stuff.Poor folks just do IKEA 'hacks'. We stayed in a million dollar flat in Chelsea,plumbed with IKEA Toilets.

silverbell and Aquitaine like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not as valuable as they used to be. The trays used to go for up to $80.00. Used for a lot of things besides displaying print blocks. Can find them now in the $20.00 range. Blocks can vary a lot, as above, based on subject matter.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. bosko69

Yep,market economics are might fickle.Sell high-pick lowww.

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know anything about the market for the "stamps" but I have a cabinet with old type trays and it's very useful for keeping all the little bits I drag home:)

Aquitaine, Born2it and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted