Featured What Do We Have?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by NCSophie, Jan 30, 2021.

1. NCSophie

NCSophie Member

We picked this up a couple years ago at an auction and it is finally time to get it cleaned up. We were told it is Art Nouveau, but really have no idea. Any thoughts on where we could get replacement overlays? Dresser11.jpg Dresser1.jpg Dresser2.jpg Dresser3.jpg Dresser12.jpg Dresser9.jpg Dresser6.jpg Dresser8.jpg

Vintage Maven, KSW, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. ncstagger

ncstagger New Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Tagging some help for you....who should be along eventually!! @Ghopper1924, @verybrad, @blooey, and I must say, THAT looks VERY COOL!!!!!:happy::happy::happy: Do you have the NOT shown drawer pulls....making your searches a bit easier, if you DO!!!!

KSW, Bronwen and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Very unusual. Not Art Nouveau, more like 1920s Neo-Art Deco, with hardwood veneers and solids. You may have to find a cabinet maker with access to burls and veneers to fix the front, but it can be done. It just takes someone with a bit more than the usual 21st century skill set in woodworking.

NCSophie, verybrad, KSW and 3 others like this.
  5. NCSophie

NCSophie Member

Yes, we do have all of the drawer pulls.

Ghopper1924, Aquitaine and KSW like this.
  6. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Not an Art Nouveau or Art Deco piece. It pre-dates both of those periods (in style)

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

1930's - 40'S IMO

8. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Is it me, or has the bow-fronted box/draws section been added? It doesn't look like it belongs.

9. NCSophie

NCSophie Member

Looking at the construction it does not seem to be a married piece.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

American 20s depression era furniture. Replacement overlay pieces would need to be carved to order so not something easily sourced. Missing veneers can be bought easily but may not match exactly.

NCSophie and komokwa like this.
  11. Steward01

Steward01 New Member

I concur.

12. NCSophie

NCSophie Member

Thank you everyone for your responses, 20's era sounds good to us. There is very little of the veneer actually missing, my husband has a lot of small pieces hanging around and is hopeful some of it will match pretty closely. He has also found a source for overlays that are close, now he is debating with himself about whether he wants to spend $200 or so on a piece we probably paid less than $50 for. Personally, I think it is a no brainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted