Featured Worry beads? Islamic disc & pressed flowers

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 25, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This was a late night FB purchase because I was intrigued by it.
    Described as worry beads but it looks a mixture of made up bits and pieces. Total length 14cm.
    I’d be grateful if you can help me unpick what it all means please.
    -6 beads that I think are labradorite? They have obviously been very worried by the look of their worn condition:nailbiting:!Held together with GF links.
    - A pressed flower in a disc- is this a flower with Islamic significance? Googling small dried up vegetation doesn’t get me far.
    - A disc 1.5cm across with Islamic ? symbols on both sides. Acid test on a stone holds firm at 14ct which surprised me as it looks like brass.
    Appreciate your help please :)
    6CED44FD-0245-49F1-BAC1-2804B11BF486.jpeg 88419B12-2D19-4F58-A50F-0889C2BA3011.jpeg 88D29519-D410-4DC9-8360-8484DB51DECD.jpeg 069DEF44-94DE-4C66-88E5-D07CDA43AA4D.jpeg A27A20E1-ABB7-4D49-A135-C25F55402BF0.jpeg 7D311589-FE7C-497A-8E2B-A221518E3481.jpeg DD3B4B34-42C9-42A7-A7A1-6AD6192F6302.jpeg B84C9569-C6A4-4E31-9248-95C1533F72CE.jpeg

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I'm still very much in the learning phase for Islamic items, but I think the first side of the coin might be the basmala (upside down). The other side may be a gold standard mark (bottom characters) also upside down. The r/translator group on reddit are very good at translating Arabic if you post in there I'm sure someone will give you an accurate translation.

judy and KSW like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That flower is in a wee Victorian screw top fob.

judy and KSW like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks like selenite. And they do look worried.:( But it is not your usual tasbeh/tesbih. A watch fob?

The first side of the pendant is a tughra, Ottoman style. It is upside down.:wacky:
    The other side shows part of a date, _223, probably 1223, which is ca 1845.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    kyratango, all_fakes, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Aha, I new I had seen this somewhere before, I have some Armenian silver with this mark.

judy and KSW like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

As usual you are amazing!. I’ve looked at lots of little discs online and came up with zilch!.
    Sorry, I couldn’t decide if it would be hung from the top or to be viewed by the person holding it.

So is this a coin?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Useful to know.

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

It is trying to be a coin, but it looks too thin. Ottoman coins of the period were more sturdy, like our coins in the West.

judy and KSW like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s definitely much thinner than our coins.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Ottoman coins are thinner, but they are not likely to be as dented as this one. Did you test it?

judy and KSW like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

We've seen a fob like this recently that also had a homemade look. The watch was worn in a breast pocket instead of at the waist.

judy and KSW like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, it holds well to 14ct acid, fades a little to 18 and vanished after c5mins with the 22ct. I used a stone though as I won’t file anything unless it’s true scrap.I thought the jump rings would test as gold but they don’t. I fully expected the disc to be brass.
    Edit- I just had a good look at that black spot and fortunately it’s dirt not plate loss.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This was confusing me as it seems to be mixing British Victorian with Islamic. Maybe someone thought they looked good together but it’s an odd marriage.

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

They have the blue flash when you move them. I can’t get a photo of it though. I thought selenite was bluer? ( is bluer even a word?, I can hear my mother saying ‘more blue darling’ not ‘bluer’ :hilarious:)

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I don't think it is, but I know what you mean.:)
    Selenite can be yellowish, but it doesn't have a blue flash, as far as I know.

kyratango likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

It could have been made in Turkey, but it could have been imported as well. Maybe not from the UK but from another European country, Turkey wasn't that fond of the Brits.
    If the coin isn't real, it could be a later addition by someone who thought the beads and flower fob were a bit boring on their own.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted