$100 Reward Springfield 45-70 Movie Rifle

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Ranger Rick, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Well-Known Member

Everyone has been so helpful here, I want to put fourth a challenge!!

Fox1.jpg Fox2.jpg Fox3.jpg Fox4.jpg I have had this FOX STUDIOS marked 45-70 Indian Decorated carbine for 20+ years. I would really like to know what movie, movies, tv shows it was used in???? With the decoration work, my guess it would have been used by a prominent character in the film. (not someone riding by on a horse at a high rate of speed) If anyone can tell me what this rifle was used in, I will send you a check for $100. It needs to be this exact gun (minus the feathers) I need the name of the movie, scene time in the movie, TV episode, anything that I can look up and confirm. Any other information about movie guns would be great (but no reward for that)

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Here are some of its family...
    Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 9.23.58 PM.png
    James.

komokwa likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wiscbirddog and Roaring20s like this.
  4. Ranger Rick

I did not know that page was still on the server. I closed down that web site 2 years ago and stopped the hosting service. I guess it is still hanging around as an ip address

5. Ranger Rick

That's interesting. I can still get to most of the pages if I follow the links on the 45'70 page.

6. komokwa

u got 423 hits.....did any point in a helpful direction..like Roarings does.?

7. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

My information was the easy part. The hard part is star association. The weeks of westerns needed to watch is ... :eek: ... a mirage on the horizon.

James.

Figtree3 and anundverkaufen like this.
  8. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

It would be more helpful if you gave a more exact date for when the rifle left the studio (or the latest date in which it could be in a movie).

Roaring20s likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. komokwa

maybe...but it shows 3 different prop numbers...all within range of the OP's.
    that may mean something....

i need help likes this.
  11. Ranger Rick

That sounds like the rifle I have in the Rock Island auction! Looks like it was in there in 2007. I guess Fox sold off lots of their "movie guns" in 1988. I found a good article in True West Magazine on Movie Prop Guns.

From Silver Screen to Gun Room - True West Magazine

smallaxe, i need help and komokwa like this.
  12. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

13. Ranger Rick

Ya, I have been to the internet movie gun database, no luck there. As for a cut down long rifle, I don't thinks so. Long 45-70 Springfield's have full length cleaning rods, no hole in the the slanted front of this stock. The stock profile is correct. Also all of the hardware is correct for a carbine.

komokwa likes this.
  14. komokwa

Draft saved Draft deleted