Featured 15 1/2"L Cannon Help

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by cxgirl, Nov 23, 2016.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm wondering about this cannon that I got today. It doesn't fire or open, I guess for display. It is 15 1/2"L and I'm guessing weighs 15-20 lbs.
    Is this a model of a certain type of cannon. No marks anywhere so I don't know where it would have been made - maybe India? Brass or bronze? The wheels do move.
    Any information appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC01978.jpg DSC01979.jpg DSC01980.jpg DSC01981.jpg DSC01984.jpg DSC01986.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Strange looking muzzle. I would think if there's an identifying characteristic, that's it.

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks MOS! I don't know about cannons - what makes the muzzle strange looking?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Someone made this generic sort-of-18th-C Cannon as a home shop or school shop project. Muzzle looks odd because real 18th cannons had "tulip muzzles" which had curved lines, but this craftsman simplified construction by making a straight cone. Dutch 17th C. Cannons often had conical muzzles like the model.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you for the explanation spring!
    Looking around on-line there are lots of photos and videos of little cannons that actually fire - looks like fun:)

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It's meant to be a naval gun, from the carriage. One of the reasons the British beat off the Spanish Armada is that the British ships had this type of carriage, while the Spanish used carriage that were the same as shore artillery, and where much slower to reload and run out again. This gave the smaller British ships as much effective firepwer as the larger Spanish ones, while being more nimble smaller targets.

It seems quite well made but not all that old. I can see a Phillips screw in the carriage near the trunnion.

cxgirl, KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it does look well made eh !
    I love the wheels !!!

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you af!
    I think it is pretty cool too

Draft saved Draft deleted