15TH CENTURY ENGRAVED WOODBLOCK/CUT FOUND. NEED ADVICE!...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by HMAC, Nov 15, 2018.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think Madame , thou dost protest too much .... :playful::playful:

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2ManyBooks and Aaron! You have just proven the world is not Flat! Rejoice and take a well deserved rest!

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My initial enthusiasm is tempered. The image on those sites is much simpler than OP's engraving. I'd say a wood cut rather than a wood engraving. They are not from that plate. They may be copies; they may be indicative of some common source.

It's certainly the same composition, and apparently the correct period. My guess is common source that was making the rounds at that time... maybe yet another engraving or chromolithograph illustrative of some highfalutin collection of paintings then recently published (conjecture).

6. 2manybooks

I wonder if the image on the clip-art sites is an exact reproduction of the version published in 1853, or if it is somewhat simplified for clip-art purposes. We need to locate an actual copy of the book. I checked to see if it is available on Gutenberg, but it is not.

7. 2manybooks

8. 2manybooks

9. i need help

Christmasjoy and 2manybooks like this.
  10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

90 miles from Harrisonburg - might consider a day trip if I can think of another reason to go out there...

11. 2manybooks

Another problem in the comparison is that we can see details in the block that would not appear in a print produced from it. We can see the irregularities in the recessed areas, (some now gilt), that would not take ink and would not appear in the final print. So the block appears more complex.
    I do take your point that this is likely not a unique image, and there may have been other engravings derived from the same original image - wherever it is.

12. HMAC

HMAC Member

I appreciate the effort & help from all of You on this board.
    Very very grateful indeed.....

Have you noticed the words on top of the block that say page 29 faulte pagan?
    I would love to find out who did the wood engraving on that German bible. I actually found a actual print copy of the woodcut in a chest on paper. That is the reason the woodcut shows ink on it. I also tested the gilt part of the block and its at least 22k.
    FYI... This is the first time my Father bothered looking inside that chest since he purchased the house in 1979... He thought it was just an old bench...

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is this the right volume?

Oops. Let me go back and find it.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Sorry. I live far away in Southern California.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  16. 2manybooks

17. HMAC

HMAC Member

Here is the other block. why not! You have all been very very good & helpful. 18.jpg

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It is possible. Those clip art images are much simpler than I would expect from a 19th C publication.

As different as this is from the print under discussion, I think it may be the original source material:

From a series of 12 etchings after Rembrandt called "Verscheyde Gedachten" (aka - "Plusieurs Pensées gravées d'après les desseins et les ésquisses originaux de Rembrandt; Par M. Pool. A Amsterdam. Sur le Leidse Graft.")
    by Mattys Pool, 1685-1730
    z.jpg

https://www.britishmuseum.org/resea...object_details.aspx?objectId=3095613&partId=1

And I think that might be based on this painting:

Simeon in the Temple by Rembrandt, 1639 National gallery of Art Washington
    za.jpg

https://www.theleidencollection.com/artwork/simeon-in-the-temple/

Re-interpreted... misinterpreted... what have you, these are the images (not the only ones. but the most likely) I've found that show Simeon kneeling. I think that the suite has a French title is important as OP's engraved block was made in France and the title indicates that these etchings were available there.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  19. 2manybooks

Good possibilities. The passage in Luke that talks of Simeon does not specify that he knelt, so it is an artist's choice.
    For tracing the history of the specific block image, I guess we should consider that the OP's block was made for a French version copying the German - or vice versa? I guess we should look for a French "People's Pictorial Bible".

20. i need help

@HMAC are there any notations on the back of the second block?

Draft saved Draft deleted