Featured 1600'S ENGLISH BIBLE BOX????

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by chris klausen, Oct 26, 2023.

1. chris klausen

chris klausen Active Member

IMG_0154.jpg IMG_0155 (1).jpg IMG_0157 (1).jpg IMG_0158.jpg IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0161.jpg IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0163.jpg Hi everyone. I believe this is a 17th century Bible box but I'd like to know what all of you think. It's 18 1/2" wide 10" deep and 9" tall. It also has loop hinges. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2023
    KSW, Boland, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love that box ! Im not sure a bible box would have a till ,wich is what that looks like on the right. Where did you get the date from? The seller ? Id also expect to see wood worm activity if it was 400 years old. I also get an India vibe,but this is all just conjecture. Its old,and its very cool,that I can say for sure !

judy, Potteryplease and Bakersgma like this.
  3. chris klausen

Thanks. There is wood worm activity on the bottom. Bible boxes also doubled as document or valuables boxes. It has loop hinges which were used until about 1650 and dovetails came into use around the same time so that's where I get the date from. If you google 17th century English Bible Box you see several that are similar. I guess I would like to narrow down the date a little more and if possible see what part of England it's from. Thanks!

judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks more like a candle box to me. A bible box would have ecclesiastical imagery.

judy likes this.
  5. chris klausen

That may be there was some wax on the bottom. What's your opinion on a date?

judy likes this.
  6. chris klausen

None of the 17th century Bible boxes I've seen had any Ecclesiastical imagery

judy likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

kyratango likes this.
  8. chris klausen

Yes it does, thanks!

judy likes this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

10. chris klausen

Thanks! So many of these that are heavily carved have the date carved too sadly not this one.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous box, chris. The motifs look Dutch Frisian to me. In fact if I were to see this box here in the Netherlands I would think it was Frisian.
    Of course Frisian boxes can end up anywhere, just like most things.

Btw, according to some sources the term "bible box" is a 19th century one.

This is a Frisian box that was sold a few years ago:

67865800-3c29-4521-9017-566980e3e2b1.jpg
    https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/26712399-antique-chest-with-frisian-manual-carving-nut

And this is a small Frisian tea caddy or valuables box I have just put a bid on:

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 13-Fries Theekistje .jpg

I am not too happy about the warped lid, but I love the carving and dark staining.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  12. chris klausen

13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Beautiful box!

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The box is chip carved and was used in Europe and Scandinavia for centuries.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  15. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Even though I'm a box collector this isn't my field because early crude boxes are too easily faked, that being said I believe this box to be right in age but as to English? Of course exceptions to the rule but normally English boxes of this date have the lid hanging over the edge of the box and strap hinges, loop hinges, maybe mainland Europe? Spain? As I said, this type/age of box isn't my field so could well be wrong.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Bid was accepted and it is already on its way to me.:woot::happy:
    I am part Frisian, and if antique Frisian items are nicely made and the right price, I can usually make some room for them.;)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  17. Ownedbybear

That chip carving isn’t terribly British, either.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I have never seen chip carving on British boxes etc. Maybe a detail, but not all over. I see that a lot on Dutch ones, not just Frisian, but Friesland is best known for it.

You also see chip carving in Croatia etc, but their chip carving is different from Dutch chip carving.
    And a far as I know, Norwegian chip carving is only done on small household items like cups and ladles.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    kentworld, bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

I’ve seen tiny bits of it, agreed, but usually on relatively modern things. And yes, I’ve seen lots of those Norwegian wood ladle things and Russian ones.

20. chris klausen

Here's something I didn't think of. It clearly has snipe hinges, it's in New York maybe it's American? I think that's the only place you find snipe hinges according to what I've read.

Draft saved Draft deleted