Featured 1655 ENGLISH MULE CHEST

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by chris klausen, Aug 29, 2023.

1. chris klausen

chris klausen Active Member

They've been making metal screws since the 1500's. I've never seen evidence of Leeds mule chests of this quality being reproduced in the 19th century. Here's some pictures of where the original latches were. IMG_0636.jpg IMG_0637.jpg IMG_0636.jpg IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0637.jpg IMG_0638.jpg

Born2it, komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This has the earmarks of being right as rain and the letter from Winterthur, assuming it truly relates to this chest, is as good an endorsement as one can get. Saw marks are straight and irregular, as one would expect to see. It, of course, has had modifications over the years and that date carving looks a tad suspect. Note that it is not as boldly and expertly carved as the rest. It is not uncommon to see an antique chest embellished with a spurious date to add cachet. The initials probably relate more to the owner than the maker, though they could be one and the same. If you search, 17th century Yorkshire chest, you will see some very similar examples.

Born2it, komokwa, kentworld and 3 others like this.
  3. chris klausen

Thank you. The letter does refer to this chest which was in my friends family for 90 years. He sold it to me because at his age he wants to downsize and he knew I'd take care of it. I would have been a little worried about the date too but like tyhe initials I believe the owner was less of a perfectionist than the maker. Also the date has the same patina as everything else. Can you tell me what kind of house would this have been in when new? Was it an upper class item like my London 1734 Long Case clock was?

verybrad likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re Winterthur letter. And, of course, it would have been owned by someone of means. Ordinary people had nothing to store (and, if they did, they couldn't have afforded that quality of workmanship.) Thrilling to think it was created during the reign of Charles II.

Debora

Born2it and verybrad like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Love the flamestitch panel.

IMG_0619.jpg

Here's the 1620 bed hangings from Parham House in England. One of the earliest (surviving) examples of the flamestitch pattern used in interiors.

parham-house-the-great-bed.jpg

And very Missoni.

8c0f4c0a8d35c8fda802782ef0ec1547.jpg

Debora

6. chris klausen

Thank you Debora. That's the thing that's always attracted me to Antiques imagining what the object has seen and what life was like where and when it was made. For example I know 1655 was an extremely cold year in Leeds. Both of my boys are in their 20's and are hardcore collectors. I know my stuff will be taken care of!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's one of the reasons I like old things too, Chris. And how lovely that your boys will preserve your legacy.

Debora

Born2it likes this.
  8. chris klausen

Thank you. The youngest one just finished his Masters in Medieval History in Norway.

Born2it likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, so very serious about the past.

Debora

10. chris klausen

Draft saved Draft deleted